Women now prefer reading to sex, according to new research

Sounds about right

Women prefer a book over sex when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep, according to new research. Only four per cent of women reckon sex helps them drift off – while three times as many men say it guarantees them quality shut-eye.

But reading a good book was favoured by more women than men, the survey of 1,010 adults by mattress makers Drift Sleep found. Both sexes agreed on the top three ingredients for a satisfying sleep – mattress, pillows and clean sheets.

Thirteen per cent of women say a good book helps them reach dreamland compared to just nine per cent of men.

To be fair, you know what you’re getting with a book. You know whether it’s going to be a bit of a disappointment or not. Not the same with sex.

Aside from disappointing sex, the research also found that uncomfortable mattress, snoring, and having consumed too much food or drink emerged as the things most likely to keep us awake.

Men are more likely than women to be kept awake by money worries – 17 per cent compared to just nine per cent of men.

But I mean, we do make less money.