Pussy Riot released a song reminding us all of where Donald Trump came from

It’s called Straight Outta Vagina and it’s a banger

Pussy Riot, the Russian punk band that first rose to prominence in 2012 after they performed an anti Putin song in a Moscow Church that resulted in two members being imprisoned for two years, are back. Despite their incarceration Pussy Riot haven’t been put off making pointed political statements and have released a song discussing their perspective on the Republican candidate for the US presidential election: Donald Trump.

Donald Trump’s record when it comes to women is shocking, but the more it happens the less surprising it is. Most recently his infamous ‘grab them by the pussy’ comment seemed to seal his fate as a vile sexist in the eyes of millions of voting age women.

Plainly and simply: he is a misogynist. And to top it all off he has been endorsed by Vladimir Putin, the politician who Pussy Riot were imprisoned for criticising in the first place.

Therefore, Pussy Riot felt that it was time to re-enter the public sphere and gently remind the Donald that he comes ‘Straight Out of Vagina’ (as the song is so aptly named). How appropriate that a band named after the very part of female anatomy that Trump likes to deride and assault have taken it upon themselves to cut him down to size.

The lyrics “don’t play stupid, don’t play dumb, vagina’s where you’re really from” sum it all up really; how can you have any faith in Trump’s ability to govern one of the most powerful countries on Earth when he can’t even recognise that women (and all other genders for that matter) are people deserving of respect.

The video shows Pussy Riot’s trademark balaclavas and iconoclasm making a return, as well as several signs saying ‘patriarchy is boring’. I have to agree, I’m bored of having to explain the simple notion of gender equality as though it is some kind of revolutionary concept. I won’t bite your head off about it, but know that I will die a little inside if you tell me you are a humanist (hate to break it to you, but humanism is not what you think it is) and that feminism is an outdated concept because we have reached gender equality.

In the words of Nadya Tolokonnokova a member of Pussy Riot: “I believe the idea of a powerful female sexuality is much bigger than any populist megalomaniac man. Vagina is bigger than Trump.”

This band are synonymous with political protest and feminist activism, and this song reinforces their relevance as figures like Trump who seek to curtail women’s rights continue to gain prominence. Women are fighting back, as they always have in some way or form. Like Pussy Riot ‘I wear my vagina as a badge of honour’. And ultimately that’s because ‘Vagina’s got a lot to say’, which can only be a good thing with Trump around.