The all-time best female empowerment songs

tips

babe  • 

Create the ultimate babe playlist

We’ve all got that one song we put on when we need a boost of encouragement from braver, brighter, inspiring women. That one song that encourages us to stay strong, be brave and keep fighting the good fight. It uplifts, empowers, inspires. When we put it on we feel like we can face anything.

So next time you need a reminder who run the world or just a little R E S P E C T, look no further.

Best Thing I Never Had – Beyonce 

“It’s so empowering and it speaks volumes to a lot of my ex boyfriends” – Millie, Exeter.

• Beyonce & Solange Knowles in general

“Beyonce’s Lemonade is explosive and unapologetically feminist and their videos are so empowering. The people in them are so important like Ibeyi and Serena Williams. Solange’s A Seat At The Table is low-slung yet life-affirming. The Knowles sisters are doing it for themselves, and I could listen to them all day” – Amy, London.

Big Girls Don’t Cry – Fergie 

“An absolutely classic banger” – Mared, Cardiff.

• Bitch – Meredith Brooks

Reclaiming the names we’re called and making them positive. Yes.

• Body of my own – Charlie XCX

I’m into myself, don’t need you.
    Cause I can make it feel just like I’m hanging on.
    Yeah, I can do it better when I’m all alone,
    Lights out, so high.

• Brujas – Princess Nokia 

“For all the mixed raced girls who are embracing their flava” – Tasha, Sussex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c661HfRgjU0

Cherry Bomb – The Runaways

“It’s a solely teenage girl band playing rock n roll and singing about being loud and confident. That line where she sings have ya, grab ya till you’re sore is very cool because it’s a woman making advances on a man (and objectifying him a lil bit, which I think is pretty cool seeing as women are always objectified and this was the 70s which makes it even rarer).” Amy, Sussex

• FU – Miley Cyrus

“It’s the ultimate go fuck yourself tune.” – Mared, Cardiff

• Fuckin Perfect – P!NK 

This song tells the “you’re not good enough” voices in your head to shut the fuck up. You are not only good enough, you’re fucking amazing.

• I Like Giants – Kimya Dawson

“It talks about solely women characters fighting for themselves to be ok and she mentions so many goddamn things in that song about how it’s OK as a woman to be what you are and to accept yourself.” – Leila, Brighton

• Girls just wanna have fun – Cyndi Lauper 

This is such a classic. Fuck the stereotypes and expectations put on women, we just wanna have fun too.

• Good Woman Down – Mary J. Blige

Inspirational words for her troubled sisters going through pain and hardship.

You can’t hold a good woman down. Do you feel your fire within?  Get up! Get up! Get up!

• It’s Alright, it’s OK – Shirley Caesar

It’s a song basically saying fuck you, I’m way better off without your dumb ass and it’s a song you can easily rock out to which helps. I prefer songs that I can just lose my shit to rather than slow and sad songs” – Erica, Pittsburg.

• It’s Not Right But It’s Okay – Whitney Houston 

I love this song because it allows you to feel hurt but it basically says well fuck you too” – Millie, Exeter.

• Pretty Girl Rock – Keri Hilson

“I have so bloody many, I have a whole playlist called Sassy Soph for this. But Pretty Girl Rock is always my go to anthem” – Sophie, Warwick.

• Sophia – Laura Marling 

“She’s calling to a goddess for help and strength and she’s talking about her independence from the life of being observed closely by her partner. Also, she plays guitar, writes songs and sings herself and from a really young age” – Leila, Brighton.

• Salute – Little Mix 

“Ultimate song of sisterhood, because the message is that any girl no matter what she is like is welcome and strong” – Sarah, Sussex.

• Spotlight – Jennifer Hudson

“Perfect if you wanna diva out” – Natasha, Sheffield.

• Survivor & Independent Women – Destiny’s Child 

They both promote female strength and independence. Plus they’re catchy AF.

• Tears Dry On Their Own – Amy Winehouse 

“It just reminds me to live my life and flip my hair to the fuck boys who screw me over. I’m pretty sure someone said a man is like an accessory and I completely agree. I don’t need him to complete my whole outfit, he’s just an accessory that I choose to wear when I want to” – Gail, Philadelphia.

• Young Girls – Princess Nokia 

“Young girls, patrons of this earth” – This song pays homage to young women, sisterhood and motherhood in the most beautiful way. She really makes you feel connected to yourself as a woman, to all women and mothers and to our planet. The video is also so inspirational.