Women who drink more are smarter, according to experts

tips

babe  • 

Yeah we’ll drink to that

The more educated women are, the more likely they are to drink more, according to studies on the link between drinking habits and intelligence.

University educated women in the UK drank 86 per cent more than women of the same age who did not go to university. Intelligent women are more likely to be heavy drinkers and more likely to drink daily, and are also more likely to be alcoholics.

However men across all educational backgrounds still drink 11.1 per cent more than women overall.

Cheers

Though for women, heavy drinking is associated with intelligence, for men it is the other way round. Less clever men drink more, probably because men who drink a lot are more likely to be binge drinkers. However the study also found that men who abstain from drinking alcohol altogether have lower IQs.

There’s still plenty of contradictory evidence surrounding the correlation between alcohol and intelligence and a number of studies only focus on male drinking habits. It’s unlikely that drinking more will actually make you more intelligent, but at least now if anyone tells you that you drink too much you can tell them it’s a sign that you have a high IQ.

For now, we might as well raise our glasses to that.

@sophlwilson