Loser asks girl for his money back two weeks after buying her a drink

tips

babe  • 

Hey ‘Liam Viper’ – it was £6.50 babe, just forget it

It’s a love story to tell the grandchildren. It proves romance still exists. A student who got bought a free drink for being “gorgeous” was shocked when she got a text two weeks later – asking for the money for it back.

Abby Fenton, 18, was out in Sheffield celebrating her last few nights at home before starting university when a tall male approached her. Abby, who is studying Biomedicine at Leeds Beckett, said that the stranger offered to buy her a drink in Viper Rooms, Sheffield, before walking off.

Two weeks later, she got a text off an unknown number stating: ‘ Hi hope u (sic) don’t mind love but can you transfer me back £6.50’.

After replying, asking who it was, she received the text: ‘Liam from the viper rooms a few weeks ago.’  It continued: ‘I bought yer a drink? Can I have money back for it. Will give u sort code and account no. Thank.’

Abby, from Barnsley, was remarkably chill about the whole thing and didn’t even mention the fact that he said “yer” in a text, before actually agreeing to transfer him back the money. She hasn’t heard from The Weirdest Man In The World since, but she was so shocked she posted a photo of the exchange on Twitter where it’s since gone viral.

She said: “I was at the bar about to get myself a drink myself when he came over to me and said: ‘I’ll get that for you, you’re gorgeous’ and all that.

“I just said I wanted something with vodka in and then we must have swapped numbers before I walked off.  At first I didn’t realise he got my number as he didn’t text me that night or the next day.”

Abby is basically getting revenge for the encounter in the classiest way possible – she transferred him the money back right away because she “thought he might have needed it”.

She added, taking the high road: “He wasn’t my type really but I just thought that when you’re out, people buy you drinks.

“I remember that he wasn’t dressed so well. I always look at people’s shoes and I remember they were Primark shoes, so he might have needed it.”

Abby’s text has now been retweeted more than 10,000 times. Dale Chandler, events manager for Viper Rooms, said: “We always see people ask for money back from buying drinks on the night if it doesn’t go their way, but never this.

“I’m just baffled that this time the guy wasn’t drunk and he texted two weeks later for it, it’s very funny.”

Abby’s friend Paris Robinson, who was partying with her that night, said: “I can’t believe she paid it back! I do remember him being quite rude after saying to us both ‘I’d carrying on talking to you but I can’t be bothered’ on which he then asked for her number.”

Tale as old as time, eh?

@rosielanners