If you wear brown shoes to your interview, you’re not getting a job in the city

Just stick to black

A study has said if you wear brown shoes with a suit to an interview, you’re less likely to get the job in the city.

The Social Mobility Commission have found that investment banks avoid giving out jobs to people who don’t conform to the ‘City dress code’. This includes wearing brown shoes with a suit, looking uncomfortable or out of place, and not having the right “polish”.

The study said that it is often “considered unacceptable by and for British bankers within the investment banking, corporate finance, division” to wear brown shoes with a business suit as they like to hire people who “fit in”. This is why they also tend to also employ from a very small group of elite universities, where attendance to Oxbridge, London School of Economics, Imperial College London, University College London or the University of Warwick is preferable.

The candidates achieving the new leading roles in banks are also required to have 2 A*s and 2 As at A Level, as well as their commitment to a vast list of extra-curricular activities. It also said that while experience such as internships or ‘Spring Weeks’ are important, they are more for getting your foot in the door of established networking groups rather than actually learning about the job.

Get in pole position for jobs with selective employers

Sign up now for opportunities from Times Top 100 companies

The report also said “issues relating to dress may seem both superficial and relatively simple for individuals from all backgrounds to adopt” but “interviewees suggested that they do play a material role in the selection process, once again, as demonstration of ‘fit’.” If you want to dress to impress, therefore, it’s best to avoid brown. Being mega clever and going to a top uni is obviously also advisable.

Chairman of the Social Mobility Commission, Alan Milburn said: “Bright working-class kids are being systematically locked out of top jobs in investment banking because they may not attend a small handful of elite universities or understand arcane culture rules.”

He also added that it was “shocking” that “some investment bank managers still judge candidates on whether they wear brown shoes with a suit, rather than on their skills and potential.”

In order to avoid disappointment, therefore: if it isn’t black, put it back on the rack.

Sign up now for opportunities from Times Top 100 companies