In defence of being a ‘crazy girl’

If a stereotype is damaging (and this one is) we should embrace it

There’s a damaging stereotype making its way around the internet about how crazy girls are. We’re all off our tits and completely bonkers. We lurk, we stalk, we mess everything up and we’re a force to be reckoned with. Hell hath no fury like a crazy lady scorned. Men are warned to stay away from crazy girls unless they have a death wish. But you know what? I’m a crazy girl and I’m proud of it.

Yeah, that tattoo says ‘birds are mad’

People assume that being a crazy girl is overthinking and overanalyzing everything. But that’s just human. Of course I’ve taken screenshots of conversations with guys and sent it to the squad for in-depth analysis and ideas on how to reply. We all do it and it’s nothing to be ashamed of. There’s nothing wrong with broadcasting a guy in the group chat. It shows we care enough to tell our friends about you and we care enough to get assistance on how to reply, because we know that if we were left to our own devices, we would probably flounder.

With Harley Quinn’s recent portrayal on screen, the term ‘crazy girl’ is being bandied around a lot. To be honest, if anyone ever said I reminded them of her because I’m that mad, I’d take it as a compliment because Harley Quinn is kickass and committed. She’s intelligent but freaky and she’s probably the most interesting character in the DC Universe. Who wants someone plain and boring when you could be with someone unhinged and full of surprises?

“Crazy” is often used by boys as a synonym for ‘desperate’ or ‘clingy’, but that’s not the case.  As with anything to do with being female, there’s a double standard. Men do all of these things to the ladies they’re dating but they don’t have the same ‘crazy’ stereotype that we do. It’s seen as normal, or he’s seen as sweet, protective and interested. When we do it, we’re crazy axe-murderers.

In actual fact men are even crazier than women when it comes to stuff like this because they always feel threatened by any sexual conquests we have had that aren’t them and they’re always fearing that one of our ex-boyfriends will come knocking and we’ll ride off into the sunset with them instead.

The stereotypes are endless and offensive. Oh yeah, we screenshot your messages, stalk you on social media (without ever actually following or adding you as a friend), we research all the girls in your Instagram pictures and your Snapchats. If there’s someone with you, we already know who they are and their blood type. And we know your relationship history, your ex-girlfriends and their addresses in case they decide to come back in your life and ruin everything. So realistic.

A lot of the above is honestly being prepared for every eventuality and I cannot fathom why that’s such a terrible thing. Often, we’re bored and looking for something to do. Internet stalking seems like the logical thing to beat said boredom – and it’s a hobby regardless of gender or mental state.

Often calling someone out on their bullshit, dishonesty or hurtfulness comes off as “crazy”, but that’s nothing more than standing up for yourself, for telling someone when they’re out of line. And having a backbone has absolutely nothing to do with mental state, nothing to do with being unhinged.

So here’s to all my fellow crazy girls: never stop being ‘crazy’. It’s a blessing, and you shouldn’t give a fuck how anyone else misinterprets it.