Fabric will be closed this weekend after two drug deaths in the last fortnight

Two teenagers have died

Fabric, London’s most well known nightclub, is closed this weekend after the recent death of two teenagers in drug-related incidences. Scotland Yard has requested a temporary suspension of the club’s licence as it launches an inquiry into the deaths.

Last Saturday, an 18-year-old male collapsed outside the nightclub at 8.20am and was pronounced dead soon after. Another 18-year-old fell ill at the venue on 25 June and also later died. Neither death is being treated as suspicious.

The Farringdon club released a statement on it’s website:

“For the past two years Fabric has operated without incident, but tragically in the past nine weeks two 18-year-old boys have died as a consequence of drug overdoses. In order to understand how this has happened we have agreed with the police and other agencies to suspend our operation while we investigate. The club will therefore be closed this weekend.”

Fabric have also said that all tickets for the weekend will been refunded and that they will be making a further statement next week.

Fabric has struggled to maintain it’s license in recent year due to drug-related incidences that have cranked up pressure from authorities such as the Metropolitan police and Islington council. Fabric has remained open through strict licensing conditions imposed by the council, including sniffer dogs and ID scans. This decision was overturned as they argued that the conditions undermined efforts to confiscate drugs on the door.