Congrats girl! Fiancé of former Miss California scoops his 25th medal

tips

babe  • 

AKA – if we talked about male Olympians the way we talk about female athletes

Nicole Johnson must be beside herself today as her arm-candy and baby daddy Michael Phelps scoops his 25th medal!

The strapping Olympian, a fiancé and father-of-one, has outdone all expectations, nabbing three gold medals so far in Rio for his efforts in swimming.

The 31-year-old shows he’s not past it yet and stole the show at yesterday’s events in Rio wearing skintight blue swim trunks as he sped into first place. His black swim cap accentuated his statuesque features, while he completed the look with stylish but functional wrap-around goggles.

The man behind Nicole is now the most decorated Olympian of all time, and she must be so proud of him!

Michael, who started dating Nicole in 2009, got engaged earlier this year, and remains unmarried so far. He should be praised for how well he manages to juggle plans for the upcoming wedding with his Olympic training and looking after the couple’s young son Boomer (who was born in May! Should he really be so far from home so early after the birth?).

It looks like some guys really can have it all!

Sound familiar? Sound ridiculous? It should.

And it’s not just Rio

We’re less than a week into the Rio Olympics, but already the amount of times women have been talked about in the context of their relationships, children or age is staggering. The Chicago Tribute faced massive backlash for tweeting earlier this week about two-time bronze medal winning Corey Cogdell (left unnamed by the Tribune) not as one of the best trap shooters in the world, but as someone’s wife.

Olympic gold medallist Dana Vollmer, meanwhile, is continually referred to as a “new mother”.

When Hungary’s Katinka Hosszu obliterated the world record for the 400m individual medley, NBC commentator Dan Hicks literally credited her husband (and coach) as “the man responsible”.

Dan Hicks was forced to apologise for the comments and in a (huge under-) statement said: “There are often times you look back and wished you had said things differently.”

Like the babe Facebook page here. To write for babe and The Tab, visit our application site.

Main photograph courtesy of  Bryan Allison.  

@rosielanners