Obama’s feminist essay was amazing and we don’t want him to leave

Meninists everywhere got shut down by one of the most powerful men in the world

In the states, land of Donald Trump, it’s easy to be disheartened by the frankly primitive attitudes of certain politicians and their supporters. It’s easy to get down about the upcoming presidential election, about what it will mean for students, for poor people, for women. But then Barack Obama wrote about Feminism in Glamour four days ago and gave us all hope for the future. His article is both hopeful and positive about the changes that have been made over the last century, and simultaneously critical of our biggest enemy to the feminist movement – ourselves. As he so eloquently phrases it “the most important change may be the toughest of all—and that’s changing ourselves”.

Obama recognises that his wife Michelle has and will face judgement for decisions and criticism for trade-offs between her family and career that he would never face simply by virtue of being a man. He further admits to his faults in overburdening Michelle with his obligations to his job leaving her at the wayside to care for his young daughters. This self-critical honesty is one of the marks of not only an incredible writer and politician, but a genuine example of what a feminist should be. A Feminist should recognise that we are all capable of being hypocritical, but that the importance lies in supporting each other and doing what we can to make our society equal and safe for everyone to be who they want to be.

Heroically Obama reiterates the fact that “it is absolutely men’s responsibility to fight sexism too. And as spouses and partners and boyfriends, we need to work hard and be deliberate about creating truly equal relationships.” Boom. Meninists everywhere shut down by one of the most powerful men in the world. This isn’t the 19th century, and this needs to be reflected in both our private and public relationships.

“And yes, it’s important that their dad is a feminist, because now that’s what they expect of all men.” There is so much truth in this. If a daughter does not have the support and belief of the first man in her life behind her, then she may never come to expect that basic right in equal treatment with her future male peers. Being raised by strong women is important, but so is being raised by strong and forward thinking men.

Stereotypes sadly still exist as we all know but Obama is here to call society out on these unrealistic black and white divisions between masculine and feminine. He writes: “We need to keep changing the attitude that raises our girls to be demure and our boys to be assertive, that criticizes our daughters for speaking out and our sons for shedding a tear.” It’s hard not to find it seriously inspirational stuff. Who says that for either gender to be attractive they need to fit into a box that says either “smouldering, sexy and sweet” or “buff, butch and brave”? Oh yeah, hundreds of years of brainwashing by society, that’s who. Gender is a spectrum, as is sexuality, so why restrict ourselves or each other.

The way that the President talks about his daughters is also incredibly moving. Obama expresses his joy that he’s “been able to spend a lot more time watching [his] daughters grow up into smart, funny, kind, wonderful young women.” Take note: not once does he choose to focus on their looks. Funny that. A man opting to place emphasis on two young women’s personalities and intellects rather than their physical appeal (even though they are stunning), and what’s even funnier is the fact that people aren’t used to that even in the 21st century. It should be a given, but Donald Trump’s words on his daughter Ivanka’s appearance are enough to prove that Obama is still making an important point – while Trup simultaneously makes everyone’s skin crawl.

At the end of his article in Glamour, Obama congratulates the younger generation that in his words “refuses to be bound by old ways of thinking” and collectively the world shed a tear. President Barack Obama, feminist, father, politician, we love you and damn we are gonna miss you.