You could get your drugs tested at Secret Garden Party this year

Some of the ketamine and MD tested turned out to be anti-Malaria tablets

Secret Garden Party this weekend became the first UK festival to allow guests to test their illegal drugs before taking them.

The service, provided by drugs charity The Loop, was agreed between the festival and the local council and police force.

About 200 people visited the testing facility, which was provided to increase drug safety.

The samples of drugs which were tested were not returned, but revellers were allowed to keep what remained of their stash.

About 80 “substances of concern” were tested in the first day and a half of the festival.

Among those tested, high-strength ecstasy was found to be in circulation – as well as anti-malaria tablets and ammonium sulphate being sold as ketamine and MDMA.

Professor Fiona Measham, Durham lecturer and co-founder of The Loop, said: “Here at the Secret Garden Party we took a big step forward because for the first time we’ve been able to offer the testing service to individual users as part of a tailored advice and information package provided by a team of experienced drugs workers.

“This can help people make informed choices, raising awareness of particularly dangerous substances in circulation and reducing the chance of drug-related problems occurring.”

Organisers now hope the policy will be rolled out to other UK festivals.