Police on ‘high alert’ for summer riots at Notting Hill Carnival

They fear events in August will lead to a repeat of Tottenham’s 2011 riots

Police are on high alert for disturbances in London over two weekends in August, a source revealed to The Times today.

Scotland Yard officers have reportedly been told that gangs are planning two disturbances at public events in the capital next month. One is a march on August 6 to commemorate the fifth anniversary of the death of Mark Duggan, whose shooting by police was the catalyst for the 2011 riots.

A flyer was circulated on Friday for a march in remembrance of Duggan, which promised to mark the occasion with “a day of action, remembrance and community healing”, ending with a protest outside Tottenham police station.

Police also fear gang violence could mar Notting Hill Carnival, which is held over the August bank holiday weekend, and has traditionally sparked tensions between local groups. The carnival will take place this year during an “escalating gang war” between groups in Ladbroke Grove and neighbouring South Kilburn.

Earlier this month police promised to double the security at Carnival after an increase in violence and knife crime last year. There was even a proposal to make the event ticketed in an attempt to improve safety.

The threats have been received after police in the capital were forced to cancel all police leave and put extra officers on patrol due to violent disturbances in Hyde Park, Stamford Hill and Burgess Park. The Met declined to comment on the claims.