Hallelujah! Fewer graduate firms are asking for 2:1s

‘If they pass the assessment centre and have a 2:2, fine by us’

Fewer grad jobs are asking us to have at least a 2:1, new research has found. A study from the Association of Graduate Recruiters, which conducted a survey of 170 employers who collectively hired 22,049 graduates, argues that there’s no difference in the workplace performance of graduates with a 2:1 and those who get 2:2s.

Are you on track for a 2:2 or higher?

Sign up to Headhunter now to find your perfect first job

The study found that 73.8 per cent of employers asked for a 2:1 degree as minimum entry requirements in 2015, compared to 76.2 per cent in 2014. Meanwhile 16.7 per cent asked for a 2:2, up from 11.3 per cent the year before.

One employer told the study: “Since making the change we have noticed no difference in the quality of our recruits and a 15-20 per cent increase in applications.”

They added that those with 2:2s can have valuable life experience that you miss if you’re only focusing on getting a first: “Often those that have had to sacrifice study time to support themselves through university have learned valuable life skills that are easily transferable into the workplace.

Echoing this sentiment another firm said: “We accept that someone who has a 2.2 has often had a full university life and balanced work and study and believe a 2.2 to still be a decent measure of potential to do well on our programme.

“If they pass the assessment centre process and have a 2.2, fine by us.”

Are you on track for a 2:2 or higher?