Two weeks after Brexit I asked young female voters how they feel about their futures

Most of them voted remain

The last couple of weeks in politics have been interesting to say the least, but while the those at the top are preoccupied with power strategies and resigning instead of moving on with the Brexit vote, most of my friends are still worried about the future. Constantly accused of not being politically engaged, and dismissed by their male counterparts as uninformed, I asked young female voters how they felt about their futures after the vote.

Fahima Ali, 21

I think 16/17 year olds should have been allowed to vote, like Scotland allowed for the Independence referendum. It is young people who will suffer the most when we leave the EU, yet their future was decided by the misinformed.

Sally, 21

Initially I wasn’t even phased by the referendum because I was completely surrounded by others who wanted to remain. Following the decision to leave I now feel cheated by the politicians who have abandoned us, like rats first to leave the sinking ship. I honestly don’t know how this will turn out for us, I feel like this is a unique situation that can’t be predicted; hopefully the government will bring us out the EU still intact.

Nadia, 21, actress

I’m not sure what will happen, trying to not worry and just hope it will be OK, but that’s pretty hard to do, hoping we don’t revert back on the process of human rights, hope we still move forward as a country. It’s a scary thing, the uncertainty. As someone that’s approaching a creative career in theatre, Brexit does mean we will lose funding and maybe even access to projects.

Liverpool was city of culture 2008 and theatres in the city are funded by EU money. Brexit is such an unfortunate outcome, and I’m nervous that I can’t even imagine the consequences. I didn’t think Brexit was probable at all at first, I want to feel hopeful, but feel as though I can’t afford to be naïve.

Katherine, 20

Personally I hope Brexit wont affect my future that much, I’m a current language student going to Germany in third year, so thankfully Erasmus won’t be affected by this. I’m English but go to university in Edinburgh. If Scotland goes independent and rejoins EU (not sure how likely this is), I’ll apply for residency there and hopefully be a Scottish citizen. If not I guess I hope Germany will have me back!

Ramsha, 21

As a person who believes success cannot be achieved without risk, I truly believe that leaving the EU is a risk we as a nation have to take together. Sovereignty, democracy and greater legitimacy are the fundamental pillars of a successful state; these are the first things we learn in politics. With the EU behaving in an increasingly bureaucratic, undemocratic and cult-like manner with a failing economy it was clear that our nation, its thriving economy and culture had to free itself from the somewhat ‘sectarian’ empire of political elites known as the EU; and expose itself to the world’s global market.

Khadija, 19, student and EU national

My future I feel is crumbling before my very eyes. I don’t feel protected anymore and I believe this is one of the worst decisions they’ve made.

Tanzeela, 20

Not only was I disappointed by the result but the pernicious lies told by the leave campaign has tainted my belief that politics should deal in fact rather than fiction. I hope we can move forward in a positive direction and that the Brexit vote is a wakeup call to unite us all together as a nation.