We asked successful health-food bloggers for life advice

Teach us your ways

Our Instagram feeds are filled with health and lifestyle tips from hundreds of food bloggers – its the thing of the moment.  But how do we know who to believe? What really is HIIT? And how do we do it?

We put some key questions forward to some bloggers to give us the real lowdown on how to be super fit and healthy.

Olivia Wollenberg – Livia’s Kitchen

Can you describe your blog in two sentences?

My blog is all about delicious indulgent food with a nutritious twist. I love to bake so my blog predominantly focuses on all the sweet treats and desserts that we are cooking up in my kitchen!

Ok, so you have had a long day at work, super tired and cant be bothered with something too complicated, what would be your go to meal of choice? Your comfort food?

If I was cooking, I would make a big stir fry with lots of tamari, ginger, chicken and quinoa and mash some avocado through to make it a bit creamier. If I was really tired then I would definitely order sushi from this amazing place near me which does the most delicious sashimi and a crunchy salad with miso dressing!

What motivational tips would you give to The Tab on sticking to a healthy regime?

Do what feels right to you, which won’t necessarily be what everyone else is doing! I think a healthy regime is so much easier to follow when you enjoy it and it makes you feel your best. I have an enormous sweet tooth so for me I have to have treats or I just wouldn’t stick to it.

What is your favourite go-to workout?

Definitely spinning! I go to Psycle about three times a week and have done for the past year or so religiously. I also try to go to body combat at least once a week which I love, but really, anything super sweaty I am up for!

@livias_kitchen

Rupy Aujla – The Doctor’s Kitchen

The Doctor’s Kitchen is all about creating delicious quick recipes and discussing the amazing clinical research behind the ingredients. I’m engaging with patients and motivating colleagues to appreciate the beauty of food and the medicinal effects of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

My go to if I’m in the mood for meat would be flaxseed crusted chicken. I mix the crust ingredients in a bowl and whilst the chicken is in the oven I make a quick salad with tons of lime and extra virgin olive oil. Satisfying, quick and much better for you than a KFC!

Sleep is incredibly important and under-recognised as a component of good health. If you don’t sleep right, your day doesn’t start off well and it’s down hill from there.

Start your day with a workout. You don’t want to dread having to go to the gym after work, plus you can watch GOT instead without the guilt! It’s a great way to boost your metabolism first thing and get the endorphins flowing for your day ahead.

Self-experiment. Plan a routine for two weeks, stick with it and see how you feel. The more routine healthy actions become the easier it slots into your life.

Be mindful and don’t guilt yourself. The worst thing you can do is feel remorse for a slip up in your health journey. Accept it and move on! Mental nourishment is just as important as physical. Try a mindfulness app for guided meditations 10 mins a day, you’ll be surprised at how much it can change your outlook.

What is your favourite go-to workout? 

I have a bunch!

If I can’t get to the gym I do a 15-minute HIIT workout in my room, lounge or wherever I find myself. I make up routines all the time and I use an app on my phone to time 45 second work and 15 second rest for a full 15mins. I usually do a selection of jumps, squats, press-ups, dips and running lunges. I’ve watched enough videos on YouTube plus I’ve done Insanity, TapOut and MMA workouts to make up routines. I follow some really cool people on Insta for daily inspiration too.

In the Gym I always “Superset”.  I’ll do ten reps on a bench at max intensity, then straight to an ab floor exercise, followed by prison squats and a rest for 30 seconds. Repeat that x4 and straight to another superset. I’m at the gym for maximum 40 minutes and I’M OUT. There’s more to life than hanging out in a humid room with grunting men.

Think outside the Gym. If you hate running, don’t run! I started bouldering recently. Play a sport, join a team, climb trees (people do that) – just get moving.

@doctorskitchen

Lucy Baker – Fit Life Lucy

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHIGCB9jTcp/?taken-by=fitlifelucy

My Instagram account is where I post about my personal fitness journey, healthy recipes and workout advice. I use it mainly as a way to track my progress, but also to help inspire others to live a healthy and active lifestyle.

This is me most evenings! I am all about fast and nutritious meals. Everyone seems to think that healthy eating is really expensive and difficult, but it really isn’t. My go to meal is definitely courgetti (spiralized courgette) with lean beef mince in a tomato sauce and sliced avocado on top!

My biggest tip would be to meal prep if you can. I use a calendar to plan my weekly meals and do a big shop at the weekend so I know I’m stocked up on everything I will need. I’ll try and prep all of my lunches for the week the Sunday before, but leave my dinner to cook fresh as that’s where I’ll experiment most! Make sure you are stocked up on healthy snacks so you don’t end up munching on a chocolate bar during the day – but beware of produced “healthy” snacks with  hidden sugars! My go to snack is yogurt and museli or a homemade protein bar! Using online blogs to find new and exciting recipes is a great way to stay healthy, and it’s free!

What is your favourite go-to workout?

I follow the Bikini Body Guide by Kayla Itsines, so I would definitely say one of the circuits in the plan is my go to workout! It’s a combination of exercises that you do for a seven minute period without breaks. There are two sets of circuits for each workout and you repeat each of these twice. I love that I can do it anywhere, finish it within half an hour and I’m done for the day! You’ll definitely finish feeling like you’ve done a great workout and usually dripping with sweat by the end!

@fitlifelucy

Joanna North – Love Life Be Healthy

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFoP1CmRZIX/?taken-by=love.life.be.healthy

Love Life Be Healthy is all about getting the right balance and embracing a healthy happy lifestyle. It gives an insight into someone who is trying to live life and find a balance!

My go to meal of choice would be smashed avocado on toast with a piece of oven baked teriyaki salmon. It’s so easy to make and it’s pure comfort food. Great for when you’re tired, hungry and can’t be bothered to cook.

Not to be too strict, it’s all about finding the right balance.  If you start too strict you will never keep it up. I do not calorie count or weigh myself and I discourage other people from doing same. Instead I focus on putting goodness into my body and exercising as much as can (but of course making sure I have a rest day)! I take pictures of my body to track my progress. It’s all about feeling good and being happy in your own skin, we are all made so differently and it’s all about being happy with what’s healthy for you. Don’t forget a lot of food that is healthy tastes pretty awesome too, it’s all about finding what you love to eat that does good for your body.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG1MYHDRZPr/?taken-by=love.life.be.healthy

What is your favourite go-to workout?

When in London BoomCycle is the place to go, it is such a great workout and every class is different but the intensity is always super high. At home I love to run and it is something I have always enjoyed from a young age. Last year I ran a marathon and I love the structure that marathon training brought to my life (and how much a long run can clear my head).

@love.life.be.healthy

Emma Smith – The Student Dilemma

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCFN8Acqsun/?taken-by=emma17smith

A colourful and relatable selection of the million and one foodie-thoughts that I have on a daily basis. Too yummy to keep to myself!

Whenever I really cannot be bothered to cook, the answer has to be eggs! You can’t go wrong with an omelette, you can add practically anything!

Successfully sticking to a healthy regime needs involve a healthy balance, and not just nutritional, but also allowing yourself to enjoy eating food. As soon as it’s a chore it’s no longer a truly healthy lifestyle. I stick to an 80/20 mentality, whereby for the majority of healthy and nutritious foods I eat – I allow myself small treats without feeling guilty. Exercise is the same, finding an active hobby that you really enjoy is key to keeping it up, for me it’s running and yoga.

What is your favourite go-to workout?

I have a 30 minute Vinyasa (fast paced) yoga routine that I could probably do in my sleep by now, I know it so well! But it still challenges me and gets my heart rate up. Either that or a 5K run leaves me feeling energised (and more productive)!

@emma17smith