I tried using natural remedies to relieve period pain

Going au naturel

I decided this month to go without using painkillers on my period. It was my sister who gave me the idea and she initially tried it first. Rather than using painkillers she used natural remedies to relieve her menstrual pain. She found it effective so I thought I would give it a try. I rely so much on painkillers that it occurred me to what if they weren’t there? They haven’t always been.

When researching for this article I have learnt more about period pain and natural remedies out there that can be used. Period pain is normal for any woman to have and can range differently. Period pain – or otherwise known as dysmenorrhoea – is usually felt as painful muscle cramps in the lower tummy, which can sometimes spread to the back and thighs. Sometimes the pain comes in intense spasms, while at other times the pain may be dull but more constant. The experts say that pain can begin 24 hours before menses begins and can last up until 48 hours after menses begins. In some women, pain can last up until 72 hours after menses begins.

In my case, I usually experience pain 12 hours before my period begins and lasts for two days. I get shooting pains down my thighs which are quite severe as well as diarrhoea the first day. Whereas my sister experiences stomach pains which aggravate her IBS severely.

When my sister was researching online she told me she found a natural remedy called acupressure points. Acupressure is an ancient Chinese healing method that involves applying pressure to certain meridian points on the body to relieve pain. The human body has fourteen “meridians” that carry energy throughout the body. These meridians start at the fingertips, connect to the brain, and then connect to the organ associated with the specific meridian. A general guideline can be found online and acupressure can help relieve all sorts of pain over the body. My sister found an acupressure point between her big toe and second toe really worked for her. I initially laughed thinking that it was silly.

For myself, I usually do yoga regular to relieve back pain that I experience generally, so I thought I would use it to see if it would relieve my menstrual period.  I’m surprised to admit that it did work. Although it didn’t work every time. I think it takes practise. It’s about finding what works for you. Not all women experience pain in the same area.

It has been listed that period pain is one of the leading reasons why women miss work. I gave credit to the women that chose to use natural remedies to relieve their menstrual cramps. It takes strength and motivation. I instantly go to the medicine cupboard to take painkillers knowing that my pain will be gone within 30 minutes and I can get on with my day. I haven’t really thought much about it before. And yes the pain is that severe. My sister told me when she went without painkillers, she couldn’t concentrate in class or couldn’t even sit still.

Painkillers have been proven to have long term effects on the body and health leading experts always warn. We really should start thinking about what painkillers can actually pointing our bodies through. There are so many other remedies out there that can be used and have been given credit. Try it. You will be surprised.