Confessions: Your most shallow reasons for getting with someone

Some are pretty brutal

Sure, maybe they were really fit, or you’re great friends, or you have fun conversations, or blah blah blah. Love-at-first-sight is a lovely idea, but it’s sure dull to read about. What’s more interesting to read about is the scandal, the shallow impulsive decisions, the downright manipulation. Like this shit.

Emily

My best friend at the time had the hugest crush on this guy. One day we had a fight about something totally trivial, but I was really mad at her. So I asked him out and we started dating. She wanted him and I was upset with her, so I took him.

Katie

I knew my recent ex was taking his new girlfriend to this gig, so I turned up, determined to make him jealous. I got there and picked up the biggest, most intimidating looking guy there to get with. Only thing was, my ex never turned up to the gig. So I kept dating this guy and took him on a bunch of dates to my ex’s local pub to make sure he saw us together.

Jen

So I was friends with this guy, who happened to be like, seriously ugly. But he was really nice and I liked him as a friend. He worked on cars and I needed some work done on mine really desperately, so I kind of agreed to go on a date with him to get my car fixed up. He totally called me on it in the end, but I did get my car fixed, so, you know.

Max

He looked like Toby from Pretty Little Liars.

Erica

I have this guy friend who thinks he’s pretty irresistible; always pulls on a night out, gets a lot of girls, that kind of guy. Anyway, we were at a club with some friends who had scoped out the hottest girl there. He obviously decided that he could pull her and was bragging about how it would be totally easy because he’s “just that good”, etc. He does this a lot, and I figured it was time he learned a lesson. So I let him strike up a conversation and start dancing with her, and then I cut in. And I was the one who went home with her number. To make absolutely sure that he suffered as much as possible, I also called her and brought her as my date to a party I knew he’d be at a week later. He spent the whole night sulking.

Hannah

To be honest I just really wanted to go to prom with a date – didn’t matter who.

Lexi

I was like 16 at the time, and there was this concert that I was absolutely dying to go to. But my parents would not let me go by myself and all my friends were busy that weekend, or hated the band. There was this guy a couple of years below me at school who I knew fancied me and it was pretty clear that he’d do just about anything I asked if it meant he’d get a date. And his parents were a lot less strict than mine. So I dated him for a couple of weeks so that he would go to the concert with me, appeasing my parents need for me to be escorted (they didn’t know he was younger than me).

As soon as we got into the show, I persuaded him to go try his luck at the bar. As soon as he was out of sight I moved to the front of the crowd and hung out with some girls I met down there. Didn’t see him for the whole show and had a fantastic time. He eventually found me at the exit after the show so we could catch the bus back together. No regrets, the gig was totally worth it.