How would Brexit affect women?

It’s tomorrow, in case you forgot

Simply put, in the words of Julie Burchill, the EU is a “stuck-in-the-mud, male-power institution that needs a good feminist kicking.” Burchill may be a Thatcher-praising-right-wing-Brexit-backer but she is right that instead of deserting the EU at such an unstable time, women should vote to remain – and kick it into shape instead.

No thanks

Equal pay

The 1975 EU Equal Pay Directive ensured that women, undertaking the same line of work as male colleagues, are paid the same amount for their labour. So, being part of the EU means that people who have suffered discrimination based on unequal pay can take legal action without fearing a retaliation from their employers.

Anti-discrimination rights

Membership of the EU also means the UK is bound by common rules which ensure protection for women in the workplace, tackling gender discrimination. These involve preventing harassment and unequal treatment.

Maternity leave

The right to 14 weeks paid maternity leave is protected by EU law. Pregnant workers are also permitted to take time off work without loss of pay to attend ante-natal examinations. And furthermore, women cannot be dismissed/fired for reasons related to their condition in the period marking the beginning of pregnancy up until the end of their maternity leave. These precious laws relating exclusively to women, will be at risk if we leave.

Scientific research

The EU funds an abundance of scientific research into diseases that affect women. At Tulip Siddiq’s alma mater, University College London, she told me that researchers are developing a test that will determine a woman’s risk of developing breast, cervical, or ovarian cancer.  She comments, “By pooling resources across the continent, we provide ourselves with a much greater chance of success in these endeavours, as opposed to going it alone.”

Safety

Farage argues we would be safer outside of Europe. This is why he is wrong. We have access to the European Arrest warrant whilst inside the EU, which makes us safer because we are working with a body of countries to tackle terrorism on a large scale. By self-isolating, we are only denying ourselves access to a union that commits a vast amount of time and money to improving our safety as a continent.