A look at some of Nottingham’s best pubs

It’s the pub capital of Britain

Us Brits do love a good pub – and nowhere is this more apparent than in the city of Nottingham.

With quality drinking establishments, old and new, scattered across the city, it’s no wonder Nottingham placed 8th last year in a list of the most dangerous drinking areas in the UK – based on alcohol-related hospital admissions. We went to some of the best Nottingham has to offer – to get the lowdown on where to get shitfaced and embrace our good old British drinking culture.

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem – Castle Road

This ancient pub-come-tourist-attraction is the oldest inn in England, so it’s no wonder the Trip is first on our list of interesting drinking spots. Legend has it that crusaders stopped here in 1189AD for a pint and a packet of pork scratchings – or something like that. It’s got it all: sandstone caves, suits of armour and a solid menu. A must visit. But watch out for the pub ghost.

Ye Olde Salutation Inn – Maid Marion Way

Nottingham has a few pubs that each claim to be the oldest in Britain. The ‘Sal’, built in 1240 on the site of a 13th century ale house, is another one of them. Although, to be honest, the Trip is always going to win this battle. That’s not to say it isn’t worth a visit, however; they’ve got a good selection of real ales, and if you like a bit of proper rock and roll music, they hold regular gigs upstairs.

The Bell Inn – Angel Row

The Bell has four rooms, but you wouldn’t know it looking at the outside. Once you’re in, an indoor alleyway takes you all the way through to the back bar – it’s really cool. Dating from around 1437, the Bell has its own beer cellar caves, a restaurant upstairs and a timeline of past landlords. These include cricketer William Clarke, who founded Trent Bridge cricket ground in 1838. Watch out for the £5 card limit though, or you’ll have to get yourself a £1.05 packet of crisps.

Trent Bridge Inn – Radcliffe Road, West Bridgeford

This one’s a no brainer before going to see the cricket, or a Notts Forest game. In typical Wetherspoons fashion, the walls are adorned with relevant memorabilia: signed cricket shirts, bats, paintings and bits of trivia about Trent bridge. It blows other nearby pubs out of the water, with a pleasant atmosphere and low prices. Did I mention it was a ‘spoons? Beer and a burger please.

Pit and Pendulum – Victoria Street

Nottingham’s number one gothic-themed pub, Pit and Pendulum, swaps cricket memorabilia for fake skeletons, cobwebs and a dark and eerie ambience. It’s kind of like having a pint at the London dungeon. One of the most notable things about Pit is that the toilets are hidden behind a false bookshelf. This is quite exciting at first, however the novelty wears off when you’re 6 pints in, can’t find the loo anymore, and really need a piss.

The Boat Inn – Priory Street, Lenton

This quaint traditional pub is a bit of a hidden treasure – popular with local drinkers but also with university students in the know: perhaps because it’s located smack bang in between student area Lenton and University Park campus. It’s perfect for a quick bev on your way to uni, making your lecture a little more bearable. And they do a curry and a pint for just £6. Just don’t get the korma you wimp.

The Blue Bell Inn – Upper Parliament Street

A common stop on so many Nottingham bar crawls, their flagship drink – the Jägerpint – will set you back a fiver. And ensure you don’t remember any of the rest of the night.

The Riverbank Bar and Kitchen – Trent Bridge, West Bridgeford

Overlooking the river Trent, this trendy establishment is where all those summer terrace parties you keep getting invited to on Facebook are held. It can be a bit pricey, but it boasts good quality food, stonebaked pizzas and cool vibez. Get your third release late entry tickets now.

The Three Wheatsheaves – Derby Road, Lenton

Another one popular with the student pubber and the local crowd, the Wheatsheaves is everything great about the British pub. They do a cheap Sunday roast, their own brand of ale, there’s a pool table at the back, a dartboard (though you may need to search for/assemble the darts) and a quiz machine with Million Pound Drop on it. What more could you ask for?