Fitspiration isn’t dangerous, it’s a positive goal

Find out how strong is the new skinny

It was only a few years ago that I strived to be skinny: skinny like the girls all the boys liked, or skinny like the girls featured in Vogue. However, in the last year I no longer strive to be skinny. In fact, I want to be strong. Fit and strong.

The last few years has given rise to a phenomenon known as #fitspiration. Fitspiration is essentially any message intended to encourage or inspire people to attain their fitness goals; these fitness goals normally revolve around eating cleaner and becoming leaner or more toned. I must say, coming from a girl that has never been naturally skinny, this is extremely refreshing. A lot of women, much like me, are naturally curvaceous – so therefore, even if we starve ourselves, which I have tried, I will always attain my natural curves.

While it is not possible for everyone to be skinny, it is possible however for everyone to be fit. This can be done through the aforementioned goals, such as eating healthier. perhaps the reason why fitspiration is so important is because for the fist time women, as well as men, are being encouraged to take on a new approach and become fitter and stronger in their natural states: whether that state is curvy or skinny.

Now, whenever I go onto my Instagram I am filled with photos of real women that embody real goals. I see women that are naturally curvy like me, but also women with other body types that are also jumping on the bandwagon and becoming fit, strong and finally not striving to be skinny.

Some of the women that embody the phenomenon most are Instagram people such as my own friend: Charlotte. Charlotte, a dancer most renowned for her hit dance routines on Instagram, built her coveted physique through working out and (obviously) dancing. She shares daily motivational videos and photos on her Instagram. Though Charlotte is just a regular student from England, she too has also jumped onto the bandwagon of #fitspiration and continues to indirectly inspire her friends and followers to get fit whether it’s through dance or not.

Another friend, Beth, is a similar example of an average person being fitspiration goals. Beth occasionally shares photos of her bikini body. She also shares inspiring photos of healthy food and clean eating. It goes to show that her body is something to be proud of as it is made through hard work and dedication. Women just like Beth are posting these photos on Instagram as a fit body is something to be proud of and celebrated. It also goes to show that being fit and strong is a lot more inspiring that being purely skinny.

If one is still not convinced that #fitspiration is taking over then they can look at the mainstream modelling industry. This year Sports Illustrated featured the first plus size model on their cover: Ashley Graham. She may have been ‘plus size’ but she was also fit: she goes to the gym, she eats healthy, and most importantly she is comfortable in her own skin. One can also look at Gigi Hadid, perhaps the most popular model of the moment, she is not the typical skinny model that we got so used to but a fit and curvaceous women who regularly hits the gym.

If the momentum of this phenomenon continues then I can only think that society as a whole will become fitter. At a time when people are becoming increasingly unhealthy with the temptation of the countless junk food products, there is no better phenomena then the fit phenomenon. It is so nice to see women finally being comfortable in their own skin. It is also so gratifying to see a phenomena that is realistic and that everyone can achieve.