So what if I get on better with men than women?

It doesn’t make me a slut or a bitch

In my 19 years of being around both girls and guys, I can safely say that I get on better with guys.

But holding this view renders you liable to being branded a slut or just a bitch. On the contrary, I’m in a stable and committed relationship and value my girl friendships of equal importance to those with the guys. So to dispel the myths once and for all, here’s why it’s absolutely fine, and in my opinion better, to be a guy’s girl.

More food

However much of the healthy eating/vegan craze has driven girls to claim they prefer salads and acai bowls to pizza and chips, girls love food. Being around guys and partaking in their frequent eating habits allows me to enjoy more of the food that many girls are repelled by. Yet, this is because society’s ideals for how women should look and what is desirable have ensured that young girls consciously watch what they eat and are plagued by fear of being ‘fat’. In fact, in my experience guys much prefer it when girls eat how they like, rather than their pursuit to look like celery.

Humour

Having been at an all-girls school then a mixed school for sixth form, it is evident that guys and girls have very different humour. Mine just happens to resonate much better with guys, and hence I find them on the whole more funny and much more likely to laugh at my jokes.

Less drama

Seriously, the most dramatic episodes of my life have arisen from girl drama. I’m not saying that being around guys leads to a drama-free life, but certainly their propensity to be more laid-back and nowhere near as bitchy leads to less stressful friendships. Additionally, being surrounded by only women tends to create competition- whether through vying for male attention or simply through making comparisons to each other. The worst, and often most boring people I’ve come across in my life have been those at the centre of girl cliques. I was once added to a WhatsApp group chat with 10+ girls, and 90% of the conversation revolved around bitching about other girls and asking to like each other’s Instagrams. On the contrary, my group chats with guys involve meaningful discussions of interesting topics from music to politics whilst still retaining 10/10 banter levels. 

The lack of instantaneous judgement

Speaking as someone who is often instantly disliked by girls for my extrovert behaviour and rogue humour, I enjoy making friends with males because they make the effort to get to know me before making a judgement. I also like to speak my mind- guys embrace it but girls can be taken aback, offended and almost always, bitch.

Not all girls are bitchy and judgemental, and of course they discuss other subjects than girly things and other girls. But for me, my male friends are people that are interesting to talk to about all kinds of things, and their perspective offers a ying-yang balance to my female one. Not to mention, they’re great listeners.

I choose my friends on what they’re like as a person, and whilst I adore the girls close to me, it so happens that more often than not my personality is far more compatible with boys.

So before you judge the girl who says they get on better with guys, take the time to get to know them first.