Tributes pour in for Brighton student who died taking NOS
He was found with 200 empty canisters
Police are warning of the dangers of laughing gas after a student was found dead surrounded by 200 empty canisters.
“Kind and caring” Aaron Dunford, 22, suffocated in his own flat and could barely walk because of his persistent use of the legal high.
An inquest heard NOS had left him crippled, causing a deficiency of vitamin B12 which left him with severe pain in his knees and unable to even walk down steps.
Tragic Aaron, originally from the Isle of Wight, was studying Hospitality and Event Management at Brighton and was found dead at his home in the seaside town on 2nd March.
The coroner at Brighton and Hove Coroners’ Court recorded a verdict of death by misadventure and police warned about taking the drug.
The alert came as scores of Glastonbury Festival goers were pictured inhaling the drug from balloons.
Detective Inspector Mick Jones said: “Anyone considering using this substance in this way should think again.
“The effect of asphyxia through inhalation could happen on the first occasion it is used or after repeated use.
“This tragic case has highlighted that even when it does not result in a fatality there are longer term effects on your health.
“Despite the deceased being a young man, he was unable to walk down a simple flight of steps due to the chronic pain he had in his knees which was a direct result of using nitrous oxide gas.”
Girlfriend Vicky Poutney, 23, of Hook, Hampshire, wrote on Facebook: “It is so difficult to comprehend that Aaron is no longer with us.
“I don’t think I’ll experience anything more sad in my lifetime, as many of you can relate What I do know is that Aaron was and still is loved by so many.
“I am extremely privileged to have known such a kind and caring man. I will always love you.”
Friend Josh Edwards, of Freshwater, Isle of Wight, added: “He was one of the nicest, kindest and most genuine people I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing.”