What I wish men knew about women: a response to sexist magazines

We don’t need to please you

You’re checking out at the grocery store. You’re trying so hard not to glance over at the latest issues of Cosmo and People, which of course doesn’t work. Now look at the front cover preview of what’s to come in women’s magazines. I guarantee you’ll notice something you haven’t before.

Have you seen the “10 new sex tips to please your man”?  How about the “15 secret things boys love when girls do”?  Let’s find out “what boys like about girls”, shall we?

Now look at the men’s magazines. Where are the sex tips and the secrets? Where are the insights into the female mind and how are guys going to learn how to pleasure girls without this crucial information?

In a world run by men, it seems as though it’s the women’s job to cater to men. We should be taught how to please a man, but God forbid a man knows how to do the same.

This imbalance sets the stage for the five things I wish men knew about women:

We are capable of making our own decisions

Whether it be what we wear, who we sleep with, or how much makeup we wear, you have no say. I once had a guy tell me that I shouldn’t wear as much makeup as I do, and for a little while I believed him. But I realized I can do whatever the hell I want and anyone else’s opinions shouldn’t matter. So guys, stop thinking that you can tell us what to do, and respect the choices that we make.

We’re allowed to express our sexuality however we damn well please

Far too often, comments are made by men about how many guys a girl has slept with.  Whether we’ve slept with one guy or 20 guys, why should it define who we are as people? Guys are able to sleep with whomever they please with no repercussions, so they should let girls do the same.

The ‘friend zone’ isn’t real

Why can’t a girl can’t a guy without being told she’s mean?  I’m sure that a lot of guys who get turned down are actually really nice people. Just because we say no doesn’t make us bad people. So please, stop throwing yourself a pity party in the ‘friend zone’, and realize maybe she just didn’t like you.

We don’t owe you shit

We don’t owe you a text back. Or date, for that matter. And we sure as hell don’t owe you our bodies. There are still guys out there who believe women should be submissive, and some men’s masculinity is so fragile and they’re upset when we’re not. Please, we aren’t existing to please you. We are our own people, capable of making our own decisions, regardless of what you expect from us.

We’re fine without you

Not every girl is on a search for a significant other. We don’t need you to feel fulfilled, and we don’t need reassurance from you. We are human beings as capable as any man, and we don’t need to be saved or protected. Girls can be fine without a significant other, and we aren’t in need of anything from you unless we ask.

University of Wisconsin