Every awkward moment you’ll have during your first week back at school

Maybe you should have just stayed home…

For most college students, going home for winter break starts the countdown until they are back at school. While binge watching Netflix and sleeping until 2 pm is definitely a treat a first, it becomes monotonous pretty quickly. The first week of second semester is always exciting – yet somehow we all face those awkward situations after being gone for so long. Here is every awkward moment you’ll have during your first week back at school.

Missing Keys

You’re so used to punching in your garage code and walking right through the door you forget to carry your keys around with you. Now you are stuck outside alone in the cold waiting for one of your roommates to return and let you in. AND you have to text them for the sixth time this week that you need to be let in, which is also a little awkward because you haven’t texted them this much in the past four weeks.

The initial “hello”

With your close friends this is no big deal, but with those people you’re kind of sort of friends with or just friendly with on a night out, this can get a little weird. Do you give them a hug? Do you let yourself make eye contact in the street? Do you just wait to talk until you see them at the bar?

Too much to say

Doing a lot of nothing can lead to a lot of time spent stalking vacation albums and liking Instagram pictures. That being said, the conversation might get a little awkward when you tell your classmate how much you loved the bathing suit she wore on her third day in Puerto Rico. Sometimes less really is more.

The lie

When you see your brunette friend who died her hair completely blonde and definitely shouldn’t have. So you fake half smile comes out and you say “oh my gosh you look great ah…”

All the wrong questions

When you’re feeling “nice” and ask your not-so-close roommate how seeing her boyfriend over break was and she starts hysterically crying and says they broke up.

The Refrigerator

You begin to get weird looks from your roommates every time you take something out of the fridge and can’t figure out why. Then you realize you can’t just take whatever you want like you would at home and remember they probably purchased those items for themselves… Yikes!

The before break “relationship”

When you had that person you were hanging out with all the time before winter break, and then while you were home you pretended each other didn’t exist. Now you’re back to school and see each other at a bar, and you don’t really know if you should say hi or turn the other way.

New Classes

Hey did you remember that you came back to school to go to class? Yeah, most people forget too. How about that awkward moment when you sleep in late and miss your 8 am chemistry lab or when you show up to your previous semesters discussion.

Personal Space

When your roommate has the TV volume turned all the way up while you are trying to prepare for your first assignments, and you have to kindly remind her that she isn’t at home and really needs to take it down a notch.

ID Swap

That awkward moment when you forget your fake ID in your wallet in your dorm because you didn’t touch it once over break. Then you immediately get turned away by the bouncer and are stuck at home alone while everyone else is out.

No doubt about it, the first week back after winter break is super fun, but can also be super awkward. If you can, try to avoid the weird encounters – it’ll save you from momentary embarrassment. Good luck second semester everyone!

University of Wisconsin Hide Images