Health and wellness tips for finals at W&M

It’s that time of year again

Well, it appears that we have reached that dreaded time of year again, where fun and happiness are mourned as hours in the library reach an all time high. During finals week, it is all too easy to neglect your mental and emotional well-being. However, it’s crucial to keep in mind that our brains can’t properly function without a little TLC. Here’s a few tips to get you through the struggle that is finals week.

It’s okay to take a break and watch a 20 minute tv show

Studying from morning to night without any breaks is practically impossible, and frankly just not good for you. It’s totally ok to take a little break and watch an episode of The Office or Parks and Rec. It will ease your mind, give you a good laugh, and make you more productive when you return to your work!

Exercise, Exercise, Exercise!

Exercising is important all year round, but it is especially essential when your stress levels are at an all time high. Exercising is scientifically proven to reduce stress, and it makes you an all-around healthier person. If you’re planning on studying for an entire day, try to set aside an hour or so to take a walk.

Change locations every now and thenĀ 

Staying in the same study spot for the entire day can feel a bit monotonous. Changing your scenery up every few hours can increase productivity and get you up and moving even if it is just for 5 minutes. Try to study in locations that feature few distractions and help you focus.

Treat Yoself

Make sure that you always have a rewarding end goal. Perhaps plan a shopping date with friends after finishing a tough exam, or go out for dinnerĀ once you complete a paper. Setting up fun and exciting things to look forward to can make finals week seem more bearable and maybe even a little shorter.

Keep these few tips in mind as you head into the harrowing week and remember, you got this!

William & Mary: College of William and Mary