How to nail William and Mary Homecoming this year

Don’t miss out on the T-Shirts

This weekend, there will be quite a few unfamiliar faces floating about. White canvas tents have spawned randomly around campus, there’s a palpable energy among the swarming crowds, and entire venues are covered in green and gold paraphernalia. All these signs could only mean one thing—it’s Homecoming season.

Homecoming is a time when alumni from decades past return to William and Mary to reminisce about the good old days. They reconnect with old friends, swap stories, and participate in the weekend’s many events. Although Homecoming caters to students from the old days, it’s really an event to celebrate the campus’ past, present, and future. We celebrate what’s already happened as well as what’s to come.

Here are a few tips to help you make the best of Homecoming Weekend.

Go to, and if you can, be a part of, the parade

The Homecoming Parade is the first major event of the weekend. Clubs and organizations from the College build floats of various shapes and sizes. Everyone in attendance has a chance to snag the newest President Reeveley T-shirt. Although there is a considerable amount of walking, the parade is a great chance to see Tribe Pride in action.

Cover yourself in body paint, there are few other opportunities

It’s very likely that you will see some very enthusiastic members of the Tribe slather themselves in green and gold paint. This is a tactic reserved only for the most resilient fans. If you choose to do this, be warned—it’s usually very, very cold. You’ll have to depend on sheer willpower and Tribe Pride to stay warm.

Watch the Big Game, even if you don’t normally

I typical don’t watch football or any sport for that matter. However, the Homecoming football game is so much more than a sporting event—it’s a complete experience. The energy from the crowd and the players is almost palpable. The stadium is filled to the brim with fans from previous generations. Even the band plays with more passion and fervor. This year’s game will also be the first Homecoming game in the newly-renovated Zable Stadium.

Plan out a schedule otherwise you’ll miss everything

There is no feasible way to make it to each and every event this weekend. Attempting to do so will only overwhelm you. As nice as it would be to see and do everything, you will have to prioritize your schedule. Be flexible and keep your options open!

Pick up and wear all the W&M gear you can

This is possibly the best chance to score some W&M swag. You can find necklaces, beads, t-shirts, hats, sunglasses, banners, flags, and so much more during Homecoming. If you feel that you’re short on green and gold clothing, this is your chance to stock up on some fresh threads!

William & Mary: College of William and Mary