I don’t care what anyone says, being a foreign language major is awesome

Yes, I can get a job other than teaching Spanish

Major and minor declaration period is today for sophomores. Before you declare something you don’t love, let me tell you about what I love: Spanish and being a foreign language major.

Being a Spanish major, the first question someone usually asks me is: “What are you going to do with that?” It’s annoying, but I get it. It’s a fair question since a language major doesn’t seem as linked to stereotypically “high paying” careers such as finance or biology. However, I have been a Spanish major for a while now and am used to answering that question regularly.

Here is how the conversation usually goes, more or less:

Them: “So, do you want to teach Spanish?”
      Me: “I’m actually a minor in Politics/International Affairs and Latin American and Latino Studies.”
      Them: “I got it. So what will you do with that?”
      Me: “I’m not totally sure yet, but there are so many options given that I speak Spanish.”
      Them: “That is a good point, I didn’t think of that.”

Despite what you may think, being a Spanish major is incredibly practical. You take classes on a variety of topics based on interesting topics such as theater, literature, history, politics, film, business, medicine, linguistics etc. Essentially, I’m not just learning Spanish, but a breadth of knowledge across the departments while simultaneously bettering my second language and working towards the goal of being bilingual.

Let me also remind you that you only need one major to graduate. Many Wake Forest students who decide to pick a major with negative stereotypes feel the need to double major, but that is simply not needed.

After going back and forth about doing a double major myself, I decided to do a double minor instead because many of my mentors reminded me that you only need one major to graduate.

This point is not always realized by students, and I certainly did not consider it, but if you only pick one major it gives you the opportunity to study other subjects without overwhelming yourself with requirements. One major is a totally acceptable path. Own your major/minor, love your major/minor, but do not be afraid to challenge yourself with electives.

Before you go for the Business School or the pre-med track like many WFU students do, think about whether it’s something you really want to do. A lot of people come to Wake with only business or pre-med in mind, and, while it pans out for some, it doesn’t pan out for all.

Be daring: explore other areas of study, see what intrigues you and know that your major is not a be-all, end-all in life. History majors go to medical school, biology majors become federal employees, and the list goes on. Your major is just a stepping stone to graduate studies or the career of your dreams. Make the most of it by majoring in something you love.

Wake Forest