I messaged everyone I’ve ghosted to tell them I’m sorry

And you should too

Maybe you gave your number to someone in a moment of weakness, maybe your lives simply started going in different directions, maybe they pissed you off, or maybe they just became a bit of a bother.

No matter what the reason, you convince yourself you’re doing the right thing by ignoring them. More power to you, right?

Sure, you feel guilty about it for a little while, and sure it’s super awkward when you run into them on campus, but eventually you move on with your life leaving them all but a distant memory, never to be revisited again.

Congratulations, you’ve just ghosted someone.

I’m ashamed to admit I’ve ghosted a fair share of people in my life, anywhere from my best friend to creepy guys at the bar, but I’ve recently decided to change my ways.

After a lot of self-reflection, I realized ghosting is just an easy way out of having an uncomfortable confrontation. It’s hurtful and ultimately leaves the person being ghosted feeling confused and wondering what they did to turn you off.

Sure, some people honestly suck and need to get out of your life. I’m all for that. All I’m saying is instead of going straight to ghost mode on them, at least have the courtesy to tell them why you’re about to do it. At the very least, it will save them the trouble of wondering.

Overall, my anti-ghosting revelation inspired me to do the unthinkable and reach out to all the people I’ve ghosted over the years. After thinking about how to make the first move, I decided to send a simple apology text and see where it lead from there.

Let me be the first to tell you, it feels incredibly uncomfortable compiling that first message, but in the end it’s worth it. Every response I got was genuinely positive and everyone accepted my apology, at the very least.

Sometimes our conversation ended after we made up, and other times it went as far as a rekindled friendship.

Overall, after messaging all the people I’ve ghosted, I feel like I’ve cleansed my soul while simultaneously getting the chance to reconnect with a lot of awesome people in the process. I’ve said goodbye to awkward run-ins and hello to being an actual nice, communicative person.

If you think ghosting can never be undone, think again. If you miss someone, reach out to them. Chances are they miss you too.

Wake Forest Hide Images