Where to eat out this Parents Weekend

Parents Weekend 101

It’s that time of year again. Hotel lobbies swarming with parents in Deacon gear, the upper quad dotted with parents waiting to take the classic pic in front of Wait Chapel, the freshman dorm halls lined with bags from Target stock-up runs. It’s Wake Forest Parents Weekend 2k16.

Before moving off campus my meals only consisted of the wide-variety of Pit food, Benson salads, late night Subway, and Zick’s flatbreads. I was at a loss of where to take my parents for a special meal. Luckily, my off-campus address and blue Ford Escape have helped me to get some insight on the foodie wonders that await outside the confines of campus.

Village Tavern

This classic spot located in Reynolda Village is a must. The only problem is they don’t take reservations, so expect to wait 45 minutes for a table. Despite the wait, it’s absolutely worth it. Especially if you throw in an order of their homemade chips and ranch for an appetizer. BUT, if your weekend is jam packed and you just don’t have that long to wait, I’ll let you in on a little secret.

There’s a second location on Griffith Road, only a few miles away from campus! They have the same expansive menu, same homemade chips, and this one even gives you a few dinner rolls to nom on before placing your order – what a deal!

Silo

If you’re set on a Reynolda Village spot and the wait at Village Tavern is just too long, check out this cute bistro! Renovated from an old barn, the half-inside, half-outside setting could not be better. Silo offers the best chicken pesto sandwich I’ve had in Winston-Salem along with nightly specials that range from pasta dishes to crab cakes!

Fourth Street Filling Station

A must-see in the fall, Fourth Street’s outdoor patio is strung with lights overhead making it a beautiful place for an early evening dinner. The inside is just as impressive with large comfy chairs and fancy lighting. If you’re looking for a delicious pasta dish, here’s where you want to make your reservation.

Mozelle’s

The chicken and mashed potatoes at Mozelle’s show off why southern cuisine is just so delicious. A little bit on the pricier side, Mozelle’s is the perfect place to take your parents (especially if you’re from the north) to show off the southern cuisine that Winston-Salem has to offer.

Fratelli’s

If you’re in the mood for leather chairs and juicy steak, you should take your parents to this fancy steakhouse. It’s super close to campus and worth every penny.

Dioli’s

Looking to grab a quick bite and an absolutely delicious sandwich? Head to Dioli’s. This Italian market offers an array of pasta salads and ready grab plates along with the best sandwich and fries ever. Seriously though, don’t skip out on the fries, you’ll be looking to sneak one from the person in front of you if you do. And while you’re at it, you might as well grab a cookie or dessert from their display case. Why not?

In the mood for breakfast instead of lunch? Try out their breakfast sandwiches and/or cinnamon buns. They’re to die for.

Mary’s

On the subject of breakfast – Mary’s. This is probably the most famous restaurant in Winston and with its fame comes the longest line out the door on Saturday and Sunday mornings. BUT, I’ve never had a better breakfast experience (Sorry, Mom.) than I have had here. The atmosphere is absolutely homey with assorted mugs and decorative salt and pepper shakers lining the tables. Not only that, but the food is so unbelievably good. Do me a favor or order the french toast – and if it’s on special – the Nutella french toast. You’ll thank me later.

Famous Toastery

If you’re on a time crunch – which undoubtedly many people are on parents weekend, stop by this breakfast spot for the next best thing. Seemingly a poor choice in location, Famous Toastery’s spot around the corner from Mary’s has gained them a lot of walk-in customers who just didn’t want to wait at Mary’s. It’s a strategy, alright! But in all seriousness, Famous Toastery has got some nice grub. You can’t go wrong with the sausage and egg biscuit with potatoes.

Dixie Classic Fair

If all else fails, grab some good ole carnival food like fried Oreos and cotton candy at the Dixie Classic Fair! In town now until October 9th.

Wake Forest