BREAKING: Justice Department says HB2 violates Civil Rights Act

The bill could jeopardize federal education funding

CNN has just reported “the Justice Department has sent a letter to the governor of North Carolina notifying him that the state’s transgender law violates the U.S. Civil Rights Act, according to a Justice Department official.”

According to a letter obtained by The Charlotte Observer, Governor Pat McCrory will have until Monday to address the bill “‘by confirming that the State will not comply with or implement HB2.’”

On March 26th, North Carolina legislators passed the HB2 legislation. The first Section of this piece of legislation, commonly referred to as the Bathroom Bill, requires that all individuals use the public bathroom and changing facilities that correspond with their “biological sex.” In consequence, members of the LGBTQ community and other like-minded individuals are outraged and offended.

Wake Forest University’s President, Nathan O. Hatch, voiced his concerns about this legislation, and he even stated that WFU, as a private institution, will neither adhere to nor be affected by this new piece of legislation.

Wake Forest