Communications major stereotypes — and why they’re wrong

Stay strong for Comm

When I told my parents that I wanted to switch my major to Communications, they drew a long breath of silence on the other end of the phone and finally asked “And what exactly do you want to do with that?”

I had only a vague idea as to what I wanted to do, but I felt secure in my choice to switch from my previous PhD track in art history. However, when my parents asked me that question with a mix of curiosity and hesitation, I realized how stigmas persist for certain majors. For instance, how many people question the career track of a Biology major or law student?

It had never occurred to me that Communications would draw any sort of negative stereotypes—I always considered it a very practical, relevant, up-and-coming major that would offer me an amazing gateway into several possible careers. However, after my recent entrance into the department, I have come across multiple stereotypes that I’d like to address.

Communications isn’t just the “easy major”

It’s an “easy A”

I’ve heard this time and time again from my pre-med and business friends as they complain about their extensive lab periods and accountancy exams. However, when I open my mouth to offer my own work woes, they shut me down with “You’re so lucky you’re a Comm major—I wish my classes were that easy.”

Do I have to spend hours in a lab coat observing samples? Or computing numbers for a chart? No. But I do have to pull all-nighters to write 15+ page research papers and prepare for weeks in advance to give formal presentations on aspects of the media industry.

Put me in an organic chemistry class and I’ll flounder, but put a Chem major in a Comm class and they will too. Comm classes aren’t easy—they’re just different.

Only for athletes

First, I am by no means an athlete—if there was anything opposite, that would be me. Second, all my Comm courses at Wake have included a mix of athletes and non-athletes, and most of my friends also pursuing the major are ordinary students. And if athletes tend to cluster as Comm majors, who cares? It’s a major that applies to most things in life—including a future in sports management, photography, and team marketing.

No Future

“Good luck finding a job!” This is the stereotype that is perhaps the most frustrating. When I entered Wake, a speaker during freshmen orientation joked about the majors that people deem “useless”—among this brief list was Communications.

However, I never understood this joke. Communications job outlooks are predicted to grow 4% by 2024, according to the U.S, Department of Labor, and the major itself covers such a variety of careers that it offers so many opportunities without even requiring a Masters.

My biggest argument against this stereotype is the major doesn’t dictate your future—what you do with it does.

It’s a last resort

Many Comm-haters argue that the major is a last ditch effort for students who found out they aren’t talented in anything else. I am a living, breathing example against this stereotype.

As a sophomore, I had explored several other courses due to Wake’s liberal art’s program, from science to statistics. However, I happily pursue my dreams in the Communications major not because I failed at everything else, but that I didn’t enjoy everything else and found these are the classes that fuel me.

Wake Forest