Why studying abroad at Wake is the norm

#DeacsAbroad

Like most of Wake Forest students — 64 percent to be exact — I will be studying abroad. This coming fall, I will be taking classes and living in London.

According to the Open Doors Report, Wake Forest “ranked 3rd in the country among doctoral colleges and universities in the United States in the percentage of undergraduate students who study abroad for academic credit.” Just two years ago, we ranked tenth on this scale, and our administration thinks that by 2020, 75 percent of students will study abroad at some point during their college career.

Almost 64% of Wake Forest students study abroad. This is the third highest percentage of study abroad participation in the country.

One of the reasons so many Wake Forest students study abroad is because of our school’s extensive access to study in 207 foreign cities in 70 countries. Wake Forest has access to, knowledge of, and relationships with programs all around the world.

Professors are also extremely encouraging of students learning outside of the classroom. This allows the course approval process to be a smooth one. As a liberal arts school, WF prides itself on the well-rounded aspects of our education process; many professors believe study abroad creates globally-conscious students.

The administration is equally enthusiastic about study abroad, and in May of 2014, the University pledged to join the Institute of International Education (IIE)’s Generation Study Abroad initiative to double the number of American students who study abroad by the end of the decade.

Enjoy the snow today Deacs ❄️ Photo from Kelly Zullinger '16 in Interlaken, Switzerland. #deacsabroad

A photo posted by WFU Study Abroad (@wfustudyabroad) on Feb 15, 2016 at 3:05pm PST

Wake Forest’s goal is to send 75% of students abroad within the next four years. “Our goal is ambitious, but we have a clear plan in place to address the personal, financial and academic limitations that too often constrain students from undertaking these important experiences,” says David Taylor, director of Global Abroad Programs.

“Wake Will: The Campaign for Wake Forest,” has raised more than $3 million for study abroad scholarships and to help the University meet its commitment to increasing the number of students who study abroad by opening new Wake Forest semester and short-term programs and creating scholarships for students.

As 770 of me and my fellow peers (64% of 1200 students, which is the size of the Class of 2018) embark on our abroad adventures, there are aspects of Wake Forest that we will definitely miss. Parties, school-sponsored events, friends, and tailgates will all be dearly missed. It is bizarre to image life outside of Wake Forest.

We will miss cheering on the Deacs!

Tailgating will surely be missed, as well.

However, there are many things to look forward to.

Visiting new places, meeting new people, learning new things, and experiencing new cultures are all exciting and inspiring. Trying new foods (goodbye, Pit! You will not be missed) is something that my friends and I are extremely excited about.

The traditions of greek life will definitely be missed.

Winston Salem is, without a doubt, rural: there aren’t too many things to do. Born and raised in New York City, I miss the hustle and bustle of the city. So, I am very excited to be able to walk out my door and have plenty of things to do at my fingertips.

Wake Forest