Why DX is the greatest gift Virginia Tech has to offer

Where else would we stand in line at 1am on a Saturday just to get chicken tenders

If you’ve never been to DX, or even worse, have never heard of DX, I’m not going to believe you when you say you go to Virginia Tech. DX is so many things, but above all, it is an absolute godsend. Sure, you feel a little nauseous when you get a whiff of their fried foods during daylight hours, but come midnight when everywhere else is closed and you’re starving, DX transforms into a life-saving oasis.

The food

Obviously, the food is the number one thing that makes DX so incredible. How do they manage to make so much of it every night and have it all taste so good? The world may never know, but let’s just be thankful they do and not question it.

The sauces

Yes, sauces are a separate category from food. Sauce is the glue that brings any meal together, and if you eat your corn dog nuggets without sauce, you aren’t truly living. DX offers a wide variety of sauces so whether you’re a plain ketchup person or a grab-one-of-every-kind person, you’ll leave DX satisfied with your sauce selection.

The location

If you live on campus, DX’s location is within prime distance of all dorms (except maybe Hillcrest, sorry smart kids). Nestled beneath D2, DX provides both indoor and outdoor seating (for the warmer months). My preference during most of my DX visits was to return to my dorm and eat while binging my Netflix obsession of the moment, but sticking around has its benefits too. Strange things tend to happen on campus after midnight, so you could be treated to free entertainment in the form of two dudes dancing to a giant boom box, if that’s your thing.

The hours

The hours of DX are a crucial part of what make it so widely beloved. Open from 7am to 2am on weekdays, and 9am to 2am on weekends, it will always be there for you when you need it. DX is the equivalent of that friend who you maybe don’t see too often, but when you do, it’s like no time has gone by at all.

The employees

DX workers are the unsung heroes of this school. Whether it be the cashiers or the cooks, I’ve only ever had pleasant experiences when conversing with these angels in disguise. They sacrifice being well rested just to provide Hokies with much-needed nourishment, and for that we owe them. The next time you find yourself in DX past midnight, or at any time for that matter, be sure to flash a smile or just say hi, it can go a long way!

The variety

The variety they offer is uncontested. Sushi, pizza, chicken tenders, corn dog nuggets, fries, burgers and sandwiches are all part of the DX fare. They even offer breakfast! Though I’d advise this to be an occasional treat, rather than an everyday occurrence. Your digestive system will thank me.

The easy access

Unless you’re getting something made-to-order, everything at DX is only an arm’s length away! But be warned: this can lead to impulse buying four cookies right before you check out, which can seriously add up. DX can be a blessing, but it’s also the primary cause of the dreaded Freshman 15.

The lines

Why are the lines a good thing, you ask? Every time I have ever gone to DX, I’ve made a new friend by bonding over the ridiculously long line. Well, using “friend” very loosely of course, because I usually never learn the person’s name, but the conversations are nice nonetheless. The DX line is reminiscent of the girl’s bathroom at any party, it really brings out the camaraderie in everyone. Maybe it’s the fact that everyone in that line knows they’re about to eat some great food, maybe it’s just the magic of DX but every single person waiting in their lines always seems to be in high spirits.

The prices

Again, something that may not seem like a good thing, but actually is. DX has a monopoly on the late night food industry here at Tech, and anyone who has ever been can tell you the food isn’t exactly cheap, thanks to the concept of supply and demand. The secret bonus here is that hopefully, the prices will make you think twice before going to DX more than once in a single weekend, which is really for the best, everything in moderation. Could their prices be lower? Sure, but in all honesty I’d pay any amount they asked to satisfy my midnight snack cravings. For those who still have meal plans though, life truly can’t get any better (also if you see me in the DX line and are feeling generous, feel free to swipe for me).

Virginia Tech