Protests begin on Virginia Tech campus

Don’t mourn, organize

Organized by many supporters of the democratic party, students, faculty and community members walked across campus Monday night in protest of sexism, racial tension and the recent presidential election. ‘

“I saw the event on the United Facebook page,” said Jeff Marion, a protestor involved. “I’m walking because I’m sick of it all. I’m walking because I’m unhappy with the election and there is a lot of hate and racism and sexism out there, and I’m tired of it.”

The post regarding the event was made on the Coalition for Justice Blacksburg, VA Facebook page on November 10th. TheĀ event was named “Don’t Mourn, Organize! (vigil and march),” a reference to President Obama’s “Don’t boo, vote,” speech. People of all ages, genders and even species marched, from young elementary schoolers to the elderly and their four-legged friends. People carried candles and signs to voice their opinions as they chanted “Racism has got to go.”

Police officers blocked off parts of the streets so the long line of protestors could cross safely. There were hundreds of participants walking for a myriad of reasons, the most prominent one being the issue of racism.

Virginia Tech