Professor Muir’s comments weren’t just hateful and wrong, they were irresponsible

Racism is still a prevalent and prevailing force at this University

Recently, UVA lecturer Douglas Muir of the graduate Darden School of Business and undergraduate School of Engineering, compared the social justice movement Black Lives Matter to the Klu Klux Klan, one of the most hateful and racist organizations the United States has ever seen.

Someone who is supposed to be a role model to students, teaching them not only academic information, but also exemplifying professional decorum, just showed our student body and other student bodies nationwide, that racism is still a prevalent and prevailing force in the university. The exact quote from Muir was a Facebook comment in response to a real estate agent attending an event with Black Lives Matter co-founder, Alicia Garza. He stated:

Black lives matter is the biggest rasist organisation [sic] since the clan [sic]. Are you kidding me. Disgusting!!!” Adding to Muir’s grossly misinformed comment, is his misspelling of the words “racist” and “organization.” How meta.

Though Muir’s comments were removed and he has since apologized, his words remain stained on the Internet. The internet, as we students are often reminded, doesn’t forget. What we choose to post to our social media pages can be accessed long after we think it’s been deleted. For Douglas Muir, this comment has led to a string of articles from Virginia-based publications and beyond; there is even one featured in the New York Post, one of the most widely circulated news sources in the United States. This means that all readers of any of these publications can see Muir’s comment, and it will not be erased. How are students of color applying to the University able to feel it a safe environment for them? How are students currently at the University expected to learn from a man when they know he harbors racist opinions? The answer is that they can’t, and they shouldn’t be expected to at any point.

In the list of most common misconceptions about the Black Lives Matter Movement comes number 8, which states, “The movement hates white people. The statement “black lives matter” is not an anti-white proposition. Contained within the statement is an unspoken but implied “too,” as in “black lives matter, too,” which suggests that the statement is one of inclusion rather than exclusion. Black Lives Matter is composed of people of all races, genders, and ideologies.

This quote comes directly from the official Black Lives Matter website, and it is a direct antithesis to the representation of the KKK, a group that believes fully and wholeheartedly in white Christian supremacy, and have a long history of violent action against those outside their racial and religious group. In their absolutely ridiculous website, which has clearly been revamped for a 2016 audience (removed of the racial slurs I was expecting) it still plainly advocates for white supremacy. In the FAQ section of their website, under the question, “Why do you hate Black people, Asian people, etc.,” they answer saying it is a misconception, but never state that they do not hate these people. Additionally, much like Muir’s comment, the site is riddled with misspellings, only highlighting the uneducated nature of their comments.

It is important to note that both the School of Engineering and Darden released statements that they do not support or condone Muir’s comments. Though this is a step in the right direction, it is not going far enough. Muir cannot just receive a slap on the wrist for this behavior, as really, he “agreed to go on leave?” Doesn’t seem like to harsh a punishment to me. I tried to contact the Engineering School to find out if he was on any sort of paid leave, but was unable to receive an answer. Additionally, Muir was on voluntary leave, and is scheduled to return to the university Monday, October 17. 

The University cannot allow Muir back as he has become a representation of hateful speech that especially at a southern university, we can no longer allow in any size, shape or form. At the end of the day, I think Muir needs more than a few lectures on what Black Lives Matter is, as his comments were not only based on hate, but also factual inaccuracy.

University of Virginia