UVA Republicans revoke Trump endorsement

In light of Republican leaders across the country revoking

The Executive Board of the College Republicans at UVA shared on their Facebook page today they are officially no longer supporting Donal Trump as the Republican presidential candidate.

In light of the recent release of a controversial video in which Donald Trump is heard commenting on women and sexual assault, saying: “When you’re a star you can do anything – grab them by the pussy – you can do anything” the College Republicans had decided to cast a revote on Trump’s endorsement. The members voted over the weekend and the vote came out 64-54 to drop the endorsement.

The Executive Board shared on their Facebook page the club was “split almost directly down the middle on the first endorsement vote” and that it would be clear the upcoming semester would not be easy. The Board also wrote it had been no secret they were against Trump’s endorsement and some of their members have been accused of “looking for any excuse to revoke the endorsement.”

The Executive Board responded to this by explaining the reason it decided to revote was because of the “unprecedented number of Republican leaders across the country withdrawing their support for the presidential candidate.” They continued to say the sole intention is to represent their membership to the best of their ability and this vote was no exception.

Although the College Republicans at UVA are no longer officially endorsing Trump, they want to be very clear they are not discouraging anyone from voting for Trump:

“Despite our decision, he may still very well be the better candidate when placed on the ballot with Hilary Clinton. The only message we wish to convey is that as a club, as the primary Republican organization on Grounds, we do not feel Donald Trump accurately represents the way we view and conduct ourselves.”

University of Virginia