What it’s really like to be in a college ballet class

It’s not all tutus and sparkles

Being on my high school’s organized Dance Company and taking classical ballet courses at an outside studio made me think I was entirely prepared for what a college ballet class would be like, but of course it wasn’t as predictable as I thought.

No tights required

This was a totally foreign concept for me, since I was coming from a classical studio where the stereotypical pink tights and black leotards reign supreme. As long as I am in tight fitting clothes and have my hair secured in a bun, I am free to make whatever fashion choices I please!

My teacher is very knowledgeable

I should have known that the prestigious UVA would have amazingly talented teachers. I was so excited to have an instructor who had danced professionally teaching the class – her insight and expertise really make the class worthwhile.

My hips, ankles and toes crack constantly and unexpectedly

It will most likely happen when I am in my Media Studies lecture, just trying to shift in my seat, and it will sound like I am trying to pop some popcorn on the sly.

I will need food immediately after class

I have learned to bring a snack and plenty of water in my bag, no matter what!

I get to meet people of all ages and majors

I met both girls and guys of all ages and backgrounds, and I absolutely adore being able to share this art form with them. I learned that art classes bring so many people together, and are a great way to make friends with others who share the same passions as I do.

University of Virginia