‘Many immigrants, like myself, relate more to America than our home country’

You should embrace our diversity rather than criticize it

In preparation for the upcoming election, both candidates remain focused on issues of race and ethnicity. However, certain candidates too often rely on stereotypes to examine various issues – especially immigration. And if my personal experience as an immigrant has taught me anything, it’s that stereotypes restrict a person’s personality, let alone a whole group’s.

In India, the Taj Mahal is said to be the symbol of never ending love.

On the 10th anniversary of my arrival in America, I decided to visit my home country, India. On the plane, I tried to remember my childhood there, but there was nothing but a few glimpses of people and my past self; a lot has happened in ten years.

To put it in my mother’s words, I’d become “Americanized.” Despite difficulties, America had become my home. However, I couldn’t dismay my roots that lead back to India – a part of my identity I have always struggled with. After moving here, I was not considered American enough for America, but I was no longer Indian enough for India.

Before I arrived in India, I feared whether I would be able to relate to my relatives there. I worried about how I would be perceived by my family members, and to some extent, my fears were justified.

Despite their welcoming me, I felt quite alienated from them. And though I recognized this as nothing more than a product of cultural change over time, I felt my friends and relatives had a preconceived image of me as pompous, opinionated, and self-centered – a personality based on American stereotypes. In reality, I was none of these things.

This preconceived image reflected in their behavior and attitudes towards me. I felt as if I were not being given a chance to express myself, but I knew I had to keep fighting. And after time, my relatives began to understand the real me.

However, these stereotypes remain a barrier. I was wrong – it is more than a simple cultural difference. My own family’s first instinct was to judge me based on stereotypes, an instinct that I believe is present in all humans. Whether consciously or not, I have done the same. But after this experience, I’ve realized that these stereotypes distort our perspectives on reality. By understanding when our actions reflect these stereotypes, we can prevent ourselves from making simple mistakes.

In July, the strong women of India celebrate the religious festival of journeying to Ganges on foot. I was amazed by their determination.

Many American politicians use this way of thinking to blame a minority group for recent events, distracting us from the real issues behind them. The blame game will not allow us to progress as a country; it is unfair to blame an entire group of people when each individual is responsible for making his or her own decisions. These labels divide people based on their origin, not their personalities and beliefs. Like me, many immigrants in America can relate more to America than their home country. We have a home, a family and friends here. We are an important part of your culture and diversity. As a new generation, we should embrace this diversity rather than criticize it.

Before giving your vote, I want you to consider the dangers of using this way of thinking. Your vote is your voice, so make sure you voice supports your morals and beliefs. This election might be an important turning point in our history.

University of Virginia