The stages of finals as told by The Office

Fact: finals suck

During finals we all become people we aren’t. Why not become some of the funniest people to ever be on television?

Stage 1: Pam (Beesly) Halpert

Classes have ended and you are feeling absolutely on top of the world. You walk around grounds feeling a sense of freedom. You smile is a little wider and your step is a little peppier. During this stage, you are Pam. You seem to be normal and average. You may even appear to be that person next door. You may have a sense of humor or even a crush (Jim). However, don’t get comfortable here, it won’t last long.

Stage 2: Jim Halpert

You are putting off studying like it is plague by now. Perhaps you are tied to a chair trying to resist the force pulling you toward Alderman Stacks or you favorite coffee spot. In order to do anything but studying, you are doing nonsensical activities: holding an office Olympics or pulling pranks on your worthy opponent.

Well, if you are me, you may just clean your room extensively despite how much you hate doing it. Eventually though, you give in and sulk to your study spot. Then you crack down and are actually good at this whole productivity thing. We won’t mention it’s because you have an exam or paper do in less than a day.

Stage 3: Andy Bernard

Perhaps while you are buried in Clemons, you are appearing to make your way through your course material. Then it happens. Something messes up your whole flow. A math problem that just can’t be solved or an essay that just can’t be concluded. In a split second anger over comes you. You may not need anger management but the people around may think differently. Even if they will or have had a moment themselves.

(Also Ed Helms spoke at UVA last year so we are all Andy now.)

Stage 4: Dwight Schrute

Now you have studied for what feels like forever. Right after studying you feel confident in whatever grade you think you will be getting. You are confident you will either crush or fail that assignment or final. You are honest with yourself. No need to lie.

Stage 5: Michael Scott

Now it is time. You are taking that exam. Did you even study? It feels like you haven’t. Everything you may have thought you studied, you didn’t. All because, just like good ol’ Michael Scott, you suffer from short-term memory loss. Whatever you just learned seems to have been forgotten in the moment when you need it most.

Stage 6: Robert California

Robert wasn’t an alcoholic and neither are you. However, after you exams are all over, you party like one. This is the best stage, just no one tell Michael were the party is at.

Good luck on your finals!

University of Virginia