Dear high school seniors: This is why you should commit to UVA

Attention class of 2020

I get it. Picking a university that’s right for you, that’s supposedly your home for the next four years, is very hard. You’ve been to the school and you’ve done some research, but there are just some things about college culture that you simply can’t pin down on a tour.

However, here’s my attempt at capturing the great Mr. Jefferson’s University of Virginia, and all of the reasons that you should definitely come here.

Secret societies

Sometimes, at 2am in the library, you will see a group of people in cloaks walking nonchalantly down the hallway, delivering donuts to a student. It’s a secret society. No biggie.

They also mark up literally every building

The Gardens

We have an abundance of gardens behind the pavilion rooms on the Lawn. These gardens are beautiful places to relax, set up your ENO, and open up a good book – or get distracted while trying to take Instagram photos of the pretty flowers.

There’s even a spire from Oxford in one of them

There are loads of traditions

From hiking Humpback Mountain at sunrise to waiting for the #1 ticket at Bodo’s Bagels, waking up early can be fun once in awhile.

The Good Ol’ Song, our class rings, and streaking the lawn aren’t too bad either.

Fantastic playlists in the dining halls

Our dining halls play a lot of early-2000s throwbacks. Like. A lot. Especially in the Pav. You can pretend you’re eating Chic-Fil-A at a night club. At 1pm. On a Monday.

ALL THE FOOD

And when you’re not eating in the dining halls, you’re eating at the Corner or on the downtown mall. Both offer a variety of delicious foods and are super convenient.

You will NEVER grow tired of Bodos

Local celebs

Randomly you’ll see Wheelie Guy showing off his moves on his bike. And hugging Ms. Kathy will be the highlight of your day.

Local fauna

The squirrels here seem to have a lot of self-confidence – they don’t move out of your way as you’re walking to class.

We have fun surprises throughout the year

We have so many opportunities for just pure fun and enjoyment. From little things like the Teeny Tiny Petting Zoo to great cultural events like International Dessert Day at the amphitheater, everyone can find something to do in between classes.

Who doesn’t want to see this on their way to class?!

The Lawn

And we love our Lawn. Listening to a cappella groups performing at Rotunda Sings, dancing along to the light show during the Lighting of the Lawn, spending time with the Charlottesville community and laughing at the silly costumes during Trick-or-Treat on the Lawn all show we love this giant area that brings together such a variety of people.

I mean, that’s what we’re about here. We’re about the people, the community, and the diversity. Whether it’s joining arms with complete strangers to sing the Good Ol’ Song or randomly deciding to streak the Lawn with someone you just met, the Lawn brings people together. It truly fosters the ideals that Thomas Jefferson had in mind.

It’s important to integrate education into your life because education never really stops. That’s why students and professors live on the Lawn. That’s why we say “grounds” instead of “campus.” That’s why we say “first-years” instead of “freshmen,” because we will always be learning new things everyday, whether or not it’s in a classroom setting. We encourage diversity and individuality, while still bringing in that sense of solidarity and community.

And that’s what makes UVA so beautiful.

University of Virginia