UVA alums launch Hoos Out – an app for Cavs, by Cavs

‘It’s basically the lovechild of Yik Yak, Find My Friends, and Campus Maps’

Launching this weekend is the new app Hoos Out created by two UVA alums: Tom and Kevin. The duo wants the app to help fellow Cavs see what’s going on and where people are hanging out.

E-school student Zach Danz, the brains of the app’s technical side, says, “It’s basically the lovechild of Yik Yak, Find My Friends, and Campus Maps.”

But in this case, having friends is not as important.

Hoos Out uses a heat map to indicate where people are located. That means no more waiting in line just to find Boylan full of creepers with dad bods or trekking through the cold to Crozet when the fun is elsewhere.

Users can also post hoots, which act like status updates, to add details about what’s going on. These can look anything like “Virg is so poppin” to guidance toward the shortest bathroom line.

Alone In A Frat Basement: Stories From First Year

To keep the bird motifs coming, users can also create flocks to see where members of their certain social group are… or where members of a cooler social group are.

Fear not, lonely first years. All you need for a fun night is a quick glance at Hoos Out. Thankfully for your reputation, the app is entirely anonymous.

Katie’s first hoot (snaps)

“Now I can know when there’s a wedding party at Boylan – I like my men in suits,” says fourth year, CS major Liz Quinn.

Hoos Out launches this weekend. Download, turn up, and be merry.

University of Virginia