Why you should miss your mom as much as I do

Sorry dad

I know I’m in college now and I should be independent, but sometimes you just can’t help but to miss your mom. I mean, who else is there for you to buy you medicine when you’re sick? Or when you need to go shopping and you don’t want to spend your own money?

Whatever it may be, all college students need their moms to survive the college chaos and here are mine:

You never have to worry about having an empty fridge

When I was in high school I never had to worry about having an empty refrigerator. My mom constantly stocked our fridge with anything we needed – yogurt, berries, fancy bagels, etc. I could pretty much make whatever I wanted to eat and I wouldn’t have to worry about restocking the fridge because my mom would go back to the grocery store in the next couple of days.

Now being in college I have to plan out my meals way far in advance because I don’t have someone to go grocery shopping for me every week. Not planning my eating schedule ahead of time typically results in my diet consisting solely of bread and cheese, or milk and cereal for an entire week (trust me, it gets old).

food

The house is always clean

I know I definitely miss my mom when I come back to my apartment only to find 3 day-old dishes in the sink, oil stains on the counter, and a crusty stove. It’s hard as a college student to make time to constantly clean the apartment when you have multiple exams, meetings, and work. My mom always kept the kitchen clean, and that’s something that I am now learning to appreciate.

At home, the dishes were always stacked away – either in the cupboards or in the dishwasher, and all messes in the kitchen simply vanished. Of course I helped clean the house when I was younger by putting the dishes away, but I never truly appreciated how my mom managed to maintain a clean house.

Mom = money source

I miss being at home and having my mom pay for new clothes. Ah, the good ol’ days. Being in college means balling on a budget, so you have to save your money for more important things like organization expenses or alcohol. If something was a little out of my price range when I was living at home, it was all okay because my mom would pay for it. In college, if something is out of my price range that I really want, then that sucks because I literally cannot pay for it.

You hate to admit it, but your mom is always right

Remember when your mom told you to watch out for that girl that she was skeptical about, yet you continued to befriend that sketchy little witch? Or that you might have taken on more responsibilities than you can handle, and instead of listening to your mom, you shouted “YOU DON’T KNOW ME!”? Yea, I remember that too.

I hate to admit it, but moms have these weird little instincts and they’re always right about them. All of the advice that my mom gave me over the course of my life has been more useful to me than ever in college. I thought that my mom didn’t know me at all, but as it turns out she knows me better than I know myself.

Who else takes care of you when you’re sick?

I miss the days when I would be sick and my mom would tell me to lay in bed while she made me tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. When I had body aches and a runny nose, my mom would bring me hot tea and place a warm towel over my forehead. Being far from home and in college, I can no longer rely on someone else to take care of me. If you get sick in college, you just have to suck it up and take care of yourself.

You’ll always have a best friend

No matter the decisions you make, or how many screw-ups happen, your mom will always be there for you. Either as your biggest cheerleader who is constantly supporting your major life decisions, or as a shoulder to lean on for those moments in life when you let your vulnerability get the best of you. No matter what happens in life, you’re mom will always be there to support you and love you.

UT Austin