Longhorn track and field are going to have a HUGE season

‘I’m telling myself everyday to give 110 percent’

The year of 2016 means different things for different athletes, considering that this is Olympic year and training is pushed to its peak to prepare for a long season of competition.

There are going to be track athletes this season trying to make the standards from the Olympic trails. Then, there are athletes who are aiming to qualify for other national meets. Therefore, this may be one of the most interesting and competitive seasons you need to watch.

We chatted with a few athletes from the UT track and field team about their feelings on the HUGE upcoming season and how they are preparing mentally and physically.

Senior Courtney Okolo, 400m NCAA Record holder and two-time NCAA 400m Champion

“I’m really excited, probably the most excited I’ve been since my freshman year. I feel like I’m stronger this year and more determined. I’m really looking forward to competing, I think because it’s my last year I’m more determined to achieve all the things I’ve wanted to these last three seasons. I’m excited to see us come together as a team and let all our hard work speak for itself.

“Mentally, I’m pushing myself in the workouts more, especially in those areas where I don’t enjoy working as hard at. It’s easier to push myself on long interval workouts because I like those, so this year I been pushing myself more during the sprint days that I might not like as much. Physically, I’m focusing on the little things that will prevent injuries as well as being more focused in the weight room. I’ve also been watching more film then I used to, to try and learn more about the 400m and perfect my race the best that I can.”

Freshman Ashley Miller, 100 and 400m Hurdler

“I honestly feel pretty confident about the upcoming season. I’m trying to put too much pressure on myself, but I want to make sure I don’t lose track of my goals. The main goal is to be better this year than I have been before.

“Physically I am making sure I try as hard as I can in practice, and make sure I’m cautious of what goes into my body. I also make sure I am resting a lot while trying to make the most out of my recovery. Mentally I am still preparing. I am trying my best to focus on the positives each day, and look at the little improvements I make and think about how I can be better next time. The best way I mentally prepare myself is to make sure I’m not content. I always want to strive to improve in someway.”

Sophomore Shania Collin, 100 and 200m Sprinter

“I’m excited about this upcoming season for myself, my teammates and just T&F in general especially because it is an Olympic year!

“I would say physical preparation this year is coming from learning from my mistakes from last year i.e. not eating poorly, not drinking/partying, and knowing how to work during practice now. Mental preparation is also coming from learning from my mistakes last year because I’m not as afraid and naive as I was a freshman I know what to expect now.”

Senior Melissa Gonzalez, 400m Hurdler/Sprinter

“I am very excited about this season! It’s my last season and I am looking forward to competing with my teammates and going after the national championship. This is a huge year for everyone and I am so thankful to be a part of this team.”

“I’m getting physically and mentally prepared everyday at practice. I get to train with a great group of hurdlers and we are great together. We compete and push each other and help each other get better and encourage each other. We all want each other to be the best we can be.”

Junior Charles Anumnu, 100 and 200m Sprinter

“I feel optimistic about the upcoming season. Both the women and men’s team are going to shock a lot of people. We definitely have the depth and the talent to make a lot of noise this year.

“Mentally, I’m getting myself ready by imagining myself running my races at both local, and large meets. Physically, I’m working hard at practice every day, especially now during the off-season. Going to the weight room as much as I can will also prepare me for this upcoming season.”

Senior Morolake Akinosun, 100, 200m Sprinter

“This season is really big for me, it’s my senior year so it’s my last chance to really make a statement and achieve the goals I’ve set for myself while in the NCAA. I’m really excited to see what it’ll bring.

“I’ve been running better than ever at practice, eating right and getting the rest my body needs. I know if I trust in my training I will be physically ready. Mentally it’s all about taking things one day at a time. If I focus on today, everyday, every tomorrow will be better.”

Sophomore Caitland Smith, 100 and 200m Sprinter

“I feel confident because I’m in a different mindset than last year. I’m telling myself everyday to give 110 percent. I’m paying attention to detail physically.”

We can expect these athletes to not only push themselves to success but also strive to push their team along with them. Their team working together to reach team goals can be stepping-stones for these men and women to reaching their own personal goals. They are doing it for the team and not just for themselves, which is amazing to see in a sport based on single talent.

UT Austin