Lambda Chi Alpha is in jeopardy of losing their house

Lambda parties without an atrium…a true tragedy

No fraternity ever seems to fully secure a house on the Row at USC. Within the last couple years, fraternities have been kicked off the Row and put on probation at an alarming rate. The shifting of the fraternities has led to new chapters being created or brought back, and the limited number of houses available on 28th street causes competition.

On Feb. 3, 2017, the USC Lambda Chi Alpha chapter created a GoFundMe page to raise money to buy their house. According to the description, the university approached the chapter a little over a year ago with the opportunity to buy their house. If Lambda is unable to raise the funds to buy 720 W 28th Street, another fraternity that is ready and willing to pay can take over. As of now the goal of the GoFundMe is 100k, but about 300k is needed for a down payment by May.

“We are a completely non-profit organization and have been sponsored by GofundMe as a trending cause,” Lambda President Edward Zaykowski said. “From current undergrads to alumni we’ve felt great support recently and are continuing to work toward our goal.”

Many people who have seen the GoFundMe have laughed and joked about how some of the wealthy alumni would be able to pay for all of it in one donation, however, realistically $300k is a significant chunk of money. The fraternity hopes that crowdfunding on the internet will raise funds beyond their alumni network.

Lambda has not always been in this specific house; it belonged to Chi Phi for a significant amount of time, a chapter that has come back to campus within the last year. Nonetheless, since Lambda has occupied the house, their “atrium” has become an iconic destination at USC known for crazy parties and game day tailgates.

“For decades Lambda Chi Alpha has been a staple within the University’s greek life community, and has been a home for a diverse brotherhood ranging from athletes to film students – and some that do both,” Zaykowski said.

As of Feb. 23, 2017 the GoFundMe has a total of $69,610, which is pretty impressive, but they have a long way to go. It may be overdramatic to say that Lambda moving would be tragic, but considering how many people love the fraternity and the crowdedness of the “atrium,” it definitely would be a major L.

University of Southern California fraternity gofundme lambda