Finding a Job with Yobs has never been easier

A USC business major’s startup will help you make extra money

If you’ve ever wanted to make money on the side and don’t have the time or energy to, Yobs is probably a tool you’ll want to use. Federico Dubini, sophomore business major, created Yobs, a web-based job finder, along with his co-founder Raphael Danilo as he faced the struggle of finding a job to support his education.

“I experienced how difficult it was for a student to work,” Dubini said. “I came up with a very different creative way to gain money, but usually people simply go to a random restaurant and try to be a waiter.” But, according to Dubini, the system of putting an employer with an employee is difficult given that the fact most small businesses don’t have a human relations department. It could cost them as much as $3,000 dollars.

Federico Dubini

Dubini also said that 70 percent of college students need to work. That statistic, coupled with the fact that small businesses are always looking to hire entry level employees, has made Yobs successful so far. What makes Dubini’s company different from other similar job searches is that prospective employees can upload an introductory video and complete a personality survey which allows employers to determine if an applicant will be a match.

There is also an algorithm which uses years of psychometric analysis, predictive analytics, which Dubini says helps employers “understand their [students] soft skills.”

“You don’t have to lose time finding jobs that would never be perfect for you,” Dubini said, explaining the reasoning behind the development behind a complex, constantly changing algorithm.

Here’s what the interface looks like

Yobs has already attracted big name clients, including VF Corporation, which manages apparel companies like Reef, Vans, the North Face and Timberland. Dubini also works with interns across colleges in Southern California to partner with local businesses.

Dubini grew up in Milan where he started working on new business ideas in elementary school, where he created his own valued currency. His mother was (and still is) in the process of settling a legal dispute and Dubini felt like he needed to jump in and help with extra fees.

And to save for college he had to work too. In Italy it costs only $5000 to go to college. “I’ve always worked,” Dubini said. “Even in high school.” Teachers and friends discouraged Dubini to pursue his entertainment and used-car-selling business in the more socialized economy. Instead he overcame the 30% youth unemployment statistic and started working for himself early.

With his background in hard-work, Dubini is working on his second round of funding. He hopes to bring in $500,000 to help pay the five engineers he hired to develop a better algorithm. Right now his company is valued at $3.5 to $5 million, an impressive sum for a second-year college student. They aren’t making a profit yet, but businesses are excited about this application and are providing a steady stream of revenue through Yobs’ subscription-based model, similar to Spotify or Amazon Prime.

Companies pay Yobs $69 per month to search for employees. Students can use it for free. That’s because Dubini wants his program to help students find a job, not hamper them.

Dubini foresees Yobs expanding across the U.S. to other college clusters, like Michigan or New York or Chicago. And currently, he is working with his software architects and Silicon Valley psychometricians to make their personality tests into games.

University of Southern California