We reenacted La La Land so you don’t have to

It was everything you’d want it to be

La La Land has set the romance bar high for every couple out there and no one feels it more than those of us who actually live in the City of Stars Sebastian spends the whole film crooning about.

In the movie’s two hours and eight minutes it manages to turn every filming location into an instant hot spot synonymous with love and old-Hollywood mystique. We decided to channel our inner Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling and hit up as many of these sites as possible to see if they really live up to the hype.

Grand Central Market

Our first stop was Grand Central Market in DTLA where one of the Mia and Sebastian’s first dates occurred. We couldn’t help but grab some of Wexler’s amazing bagels and Dr. Brown’s soda while we were there. The array of colors, lights, and cuisine was nothing short of magical.

Angel’s Flight

Right across the way from Grand Central Market we visited Angel’s Flight. Its trollies haven’t been available for public use since 1969, but Mia and Sebastian were able to hitch a ride and steal a few kisses on one of them in the movie. The aesthetic of the railway in the middle of Downtown is beautiful, but since you can’t ride the cars, there’s not much to do there besides take a few artsy pics.

Griffith Observatory

The third stop on our agenda was the Griffith Observatory, where the famous dance among the stars happens in the film. We were lucky enough to witness the most amazingly clear view of the city and the sea. After the past few days of rain here in LA it was so much more beautiful up in the hills than we expected.

Warner Bros. Studios

After the Observatory we hit up Warner Bros. Studios where Mia works as a barista. We couldn’t actually get onto the backlot, so posing at one of the gates had to suffice. If you really want to get the on-set experience the studio does give tours  where you can see anything from Friends‘ Central Perk to Gilmore Girls‘ Stars Hollow town square.

The Smoke House Restaurant

Right across the street from Warner Bros. is the Smoke House Restaurant, whose interior serves as the place where Sebastian reluctantly played Christmas carols and was ultimately fired from his job. Industry stars like Bob Hope and Bing Crosby dined here back in the day, so perhaps when I’m no longer on a college budget I’ll be able to join their ranks.

“You Are the Star”

Our last stop was the mural “You Are the Star” on Hollywood and Wilcox, just down the street from the Pantages Theatre. Mia passed by it on her way into the fictional restaurant where she firsts hears Sebastian playing piano. This piece features the likeness of stars like Marilyn Monroe, Shirley Temple, and even Superman. It’s pretty cool to find little gems like this hidden throughout the city.

Our day pretending to be in La La Land  left us feeling, if anything, a little more in love with the place we call home. Couples here are luckyLA brings the charm, so you don’t have to.

Photos by Ellen Labbé, featuring Sara Silberman and Thibault Clairis-Gauthier 

University of Southern California Hide Images