UC Berkeley anti-free speech rioters justify Milo’s existence

1964 was murdered tonight

Violent rioters protesting Milo Yiannopoulos’s planned speech at UC Berkeley put the final stake through the heart of the Left’s free speech movement. Leftist liberalism has lost, thought-policing progressivism has won.

Yiannopoulos, the shameless conservative, cultural supremacist and Breitbart editor, has unintentionally replaced Mario Savio as our generation’s free speech firebrand. Sure, Yiannopoulos speaks in absurdities, branding feminism “cancer,” and presenting the actually racist alt-right as palatable and playful, but by going absolutely apoplectic and losing their damn minds, the left has effectively martyred Milo.

“We believe in tolerance!” says the modern leftist wearing a so-called “pussy hat” and brandishing a “Free Palestine” poster. Okay, then explain to me why your objective has increasingly become to virtue signal or shut down events rather than educate the public?

Why your modus operandi has become, as caught in exclusive footage by The Tab, to shut down reporters and the free press, as you did when the most violent (though non-student) protesters assaulted correspondent Pranav Jandhyala?

Why you resort to violence, as you did when you shot a civilian at Milo’s speech at the University of Washington?

Milo wants to be a martyr. If liberals simply ignored his outlandish declarations of Islam and the gender wage gap, he would have zero political capital.

He’s a two-time college dropout at worst, and a comedian at best. He wants to feel like a hero, valiantly putting his well-being on the line in the name of free speech. It might sound like bullshit, but every time your incite violence, you’re justifying Milo’s relevance, martyrdom and prominence.

Shane Bauer of Mother Jones reported that protestors chanted, “This is what community looks like,” as they destroyed Berkeley’s 150 year old campus. Sure, Milo has said terrible things. But tonight you actually did them; if that’s what your community looks like, then I’m terrified to see what your war zone will become.

University of Southern California