We spoke to 12 women about why they chose to attend the inaugural parade

‘I believe God has ordained Donald Trump to be the president’

Friday’s 58th Inaugural parade was nothing if not energetic. Women on both sides of the aisle came out to express their personal viewpoints, some of which supported President Donald Trump, some openly demonstrating against him.

Babe spoke to 12 women about what drew them to Pennsylvania Ave on the dawn of Inauguration Day.

“I know Donald Trump and I know that what he says, he’s going to do. I was the County Co-Chair for Donald Trump in Palm Beach County [Florida] but I am here because I believe he will ‘Make America Great Again.’ — Linda, Palm Beach Gardens, FL

“I believe God has ordained Donald Trump to be the president. And I believe he’s going to use him like a Cyrus to bring reformation and change.” — Debra, Kansas City, MO

“I’m here to show support for our new president and vice president. My hope for the next four years is for all races to be equal and have the same chances. I think Donald Trump will help rise them up when they need it.” — Spencer, Charlotte, NC

“I believe that our country is very divided. As a minority, I hope that we are not ostracized from society and that we are treated as we should be. I just don’t want things to get worse.” — Sofia, Fairfax, VA

“We voted a bigot into office. It’s hard to be hopeful, but I hope he’ll be a good president for the sake of this country. But I’m really really disappointed.” — Anonymous, Orange County, CA

“I recognize that he got elected via our system, but I just want people to know that he doesn’t have a mandate and the stuff he does is not okay or normal. He’s going to do some damage, but I just hope it’s damage we can fix in my lifetime.” — Liz, MI

“I’ve watched the decay in our Constitutional Rights and values through political correctness and I am saddened and hurt by it. The search for the truth has always been the most important thing to me and I feel that our new president is going to tell me the truth.” — Alice, Gardeners, PA

“This is a ‘pussy hat’ that was knitted for me by my yoga teacher. She gave it to me two days before I came here. I’m wearing it to signify that you cannot treat women the way that Trump has been treating women.” — Huyen, San Antonio, TX

“I came here to be a voice for those who couldn’t be here. Trump doesn’t have the right to tell us what we can and can’t do with our bodies. He’s a disgrace to our nation.” — Lisa, Albuquerque, NM

“I’m here to protest the inauguration of Donald Trump. I think he’s going to be a terrible president that will lose me my health insurance and that will make me lose my funding for preexisting conditions I have.” — Leah, Boston, MA

“I support Trump. I like what he stands for and I like him as a guy. Even though he’s a billionaire, he seems like a normal, average person. I hope that our country will be safe and that my taxes go down. But I just want everyone to get along.” — Tracey, MD

“I hope that everyone comes together to realize we elected a person that brings hate to every situation. I just want everyone to come together and bring happiness and love.” — Nia, Silver Spring, MD

University of Southern California