Trojans defeat Penn State in their first Rose Bowl since 2009

The game was saved by a final field goal

After suffering the team’s worst season-opening defeat to Alabama, Coach Clay Helton lead the USC Trojans to victory at the Rose Bowl, defeating the Penn State Lions with a final field goal.

Despite maintaining a commanding lead in the first quarter, the Trojan defense began to crack in the second quarter, in no small part due to the loss of linebacker Cameron Smith, who was ejected due to his hit on Trace McSorely. Trojans in the stands chanted audibly enough for ESPN coverage that the call was “bullshit.” Fox Sports College Football and NFL Draft Analyst Joel Klatt took to Twitter to condemn the targeting rule.

Cornerback Iman Marshall also withdrew from the game due to vertigo.

Adoree’ Jackson suffered a leg injury in the fourth quarter. Although speculation ranged from the injury’s ramifications being game-ending to career-ending, Jackson could be seen doing sprints on the sidelines at what appeared to be near full speed.

However, in the fourth quarter, Juju Smith-Schuster managed to catch a rainbow loft from Sam Darnold into the corner at the 5-yard line after his right foot landed in bounds. This led to Running back Ronald Jones, donning No. 4 in honor of the late Joe McKnight in lieu of his usual No. 25, bringing the game back to a seven-point difference with a touchdown.

After the game came to a 49-49 tie near the end of the fourth quarter, defensive back Leon McQuay III made a game-changing interception, allowing the Trojans to make a final, tie-breaking field goal.

University of Southern California