Lorenzo tenants ‘disgusted’ to find site’s developer is a Trump supporter

It’s important for students to know who the beneficiary of their rent is

In recent weeks, USC students have had a turbulent relationship with housing companies.  One example is the Element project not being ready until the end of October –  Stuho is now allowing their tenants to break contract.

Lorenzo, another housing company, has also been subject to complaint.  Geoff Palmer, the man behind the Lorenzo “upscale” student apartments, recently became a Donald Trump supporter with a donation of $2 million to the super pac Rebuilding America Now.  

Most of the students who live there have no idea the owner of their apartment complex supports Trump’s campaign.

One USC student living at Lorenzo is already critical of the management, and this information adds insult to injury.

“Maintenance is really slow,” she said. “It takes forever to resolve whatever issue you have.”

However, the Lorenzo leasing office responded:  “In any complex you are going to have issues where residents have negative responses.  When we try to do things in timely fashion you will get complaints.”

She was already going to move out at the end of the lease, but knowing that Palmer supports Trump, she is more ready than ever to go someplace else.  

“It’s kind of upsetting that my rent is indirectly supporting Trump,” she said. “I feel bad now that my rent is going to someone who supports the things Trump supports.”

Barbara Estrada and Astrid Albarran are roommates in Lorenzo who share the sentiment. As seniors, they said they will be happy to move out. When Barbara first heard this news, she was more shocked than anything.

“I cannot believe I’m living under this man’s roof,” Barbara said. “I was definitely disgusted.”

Her roommate had similar things to say about Trump and about Lorenzo in general.

“It’s really upsetting to hear that [Palmer supports Trump],” Astrid said. She also said that it is interesting to see the facility workers and management work under someone who supports Trump, a candidate who she believes is putting them down.

Greg Kalbfeld was upset when he found out that his rent was going to someone who supports Trump.

Greg Kalbfeld at Lorenzo

“It makes me kind of pissed off,” Greg said. “I don’t think he’s a good representation of this nation.”

Greg sees Trump more as a “TV show host” on Celebrity Apprentice rather than a president. Greg still concedes that facilities are nice.

“I really love living here,” Greg said. “I might as well enjoy the amenities.”

Junior Thomas Caroll doesn’t like Trump either, but he said he will still try to live in Lorenzo next year.  

“It’s kind of alarming because I’m not a big fan of Trump,” Thomas said. “I feel that he depicts a very negative image on our country.”

Still, Thomas loves the facilities and his roommates at Lorenzo and he isn’t letting his dislike of Trump get in the way.

Photo by Hawken Miller

“The benefit I get from living here is pretty positive and it’s an overall good experience so I can overlook that,” Thomas said.

It just goes to show, Trump supporter or not, that it’s important for students to know who the beneficiary of their rent is.

University of Southern California